The Okta Customer Support Team is focused on making Okta customers, developers and partners successful by advocating on their behalf, resolving technical issues and challenges, and maintaining the high of quality service they expect.
As the Manager of Escalation Engineering you will be responsible for defining and executing the strategy to mitigate situations that lead to customer escalations, and effectively handling and addressing situations that become escalations. You will regularly work with Okta’s development engineering and technical operations teams, as well as a variety of internal team customers. As such, you will need be an adept communicator, equally comfortable having a detailed technical conversation with an engineer as delivering a high-level technical overview to a VP or CxO. You will grow, develop and motivate a team of Escalation Engineers, lead day-to-day operations, spearhead internal communications during service disruptions, and represent the voice of the customer to drive product and process improvements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Deliver excellent partner and customer satisfaction and meet/exceed all operational and satisfaction targets.
- Build and maintain infrastructure and tools that scale to both prevent and catch/address issues raised by internal teams and customers. This includes building "early warning" processes, triaging escalated cases, regular oversight and follow-ups, and ensuring timely resolution.
- Lead internal commutations and with Development Engineering during service disruptions to ensure internal and external customers are receiving status updates.
- Draft root cause analysis documents and lead technical communications with customers.
- Develop a team and deliver against people goals, such as employee growth, retention, and satisfaction.
- Ensure team readiness for supporting new products and services.
- Measure, maintain and improve delivery processes to increase efficiency and customer experience.
- Plan staffing requirements and hire skilled team members to meet business goals.
- Provide regular employee coaching and on-going guidance to help employees achieve career development aspirations.
- Analyze data and surface insights from escalations to advocate on behalf of customers, drive decision making to improve products and processes, and drive long term customer and partner loyalty.
- 8-10+ years of experience in technical support or consulting delivery, with a minimum of 4+ years in a managerial capacity.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a technical discipline. Master’s degree/MBA is a plus.
- A strategic thinker, able to come up with out of the box solutions, while also having strong operational excellence skills to be able to drive strong execution of the team’s vision and operational metrics.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and be effective at collaborating with a wide variety of individuals.
- Ability to influence others, include those outside of immediate team.
- Ability to handle conflict and drive agreement on decisions for which conflicting opinions and input exist.
- Strong, data driven problem resolution and decision making skills.
- Ability to identify risks and dependencies and put in place plans to mitigate them.
- Adaptability, flexibility and the conviction to “do the right thing” under stress, high tension and tight deadlines.
- Experience with, or understanding of, large scale software deployments.
- A strong leader with the ability to attract, motivate, retain and develop people.
- Familiarity with security or identity management industry is a strong plus.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a dynamic environment.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work