Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
We believe the Business Architect - Public Sector at Okta is a creative storyteller impassioned by the Public Sector who is compelled to help them write the next chapter in their digital journey. In many ways you are a transformation strategist. You can understand complex, abstract challenges and can articulate them in simple & concrete terms. You have a solid technology background to understand how complex Technology Teams operate and how Identity Solutions influence that landscape. You have a keen eye to not only seek out customer pain & risks to remediate, but also search for solutions that can optimize business values and outcomes. You have the powerful combination of being technically savvy & having business insight. You act as an empathetic, objective, trusted advisor and know the credibility & experience you bring to any customer conversation is an invaluable currency. As a Business Architect - Public Sector at Okta, you will hone each of these skills by advising a diverse set of customers and helping set their roadmap on what is possible using Okta’s Identity Platform.
This role will exclusively interface with U.S. federal agencies (DoD/Intel/Civilian) as well as State, Local and Educational (SLED) agencies and institutions. To effectively operate within these environments, and navigate its respective customs & courtesies, a prospective candidate must have experience as a strategic advisor of identity & cybersecurity to these agencies. Having influenced the purchase of value-added technology products and/or technology services in those conversations is required. U.S. Military service is preferred.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the sales & services teams in helping customers understand what they can achieve with Okta
- Digests customer requirements and articulates the business value of solving business problems using cloud technology
- Owns business architecture workshops and leads customer discussions that will transform customer’s digital experiences, IT infrastructure, and security posture.
- Crafts collaborative, engaging workshop material that synthesizes known customer experiences and sequences what is possible with Okta.
- Understands how to architect an optimal user experiences and how it is influenced by business process & technology
- Collaborates effectively with partners (GSIs & boutique firms) in a shared vision of delivering success to Okta customers
- Captures key insights learned from the field and seeks to continuously evolve delivery frameworks and models.
- Contributes to thought leadership (articles, whitepapers, blogs) that increases Okta Professional Services’ content capital.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A passion to advocate for the customer, which has been expressed through previous functional or technical delivery & customer-facing roles, such as technology consulting
- Ability to build trusted relationships required to be successful in a customer environment
- An elite writer, facilitator, and storyteller to the entire spectrum of customer audiences (from individual contributors to business stakeholders to executive leadership)
- A quick learner who requires minimal (but reasonable) preparation time speak with confidence about a customer sales or delivery scenario
- Able to set clear delivery expectations and met commitments with minimal revision
- Positively influence and operate effectively within the traditional context of a software delivery lifecycle project - adhere to project scope, schedule, and budget
- Experience working both independently and in large-scale, matrixed-team environments
- Exercises a problem solving mindset and mature judgment to prioritize work & effort that will inform customers’ future-state identity investment roadmap
- Well versed in user experience & business process optimization
- Discover and explore overall business architecture through persona definitions and journey maps to quantify Identity Solutions and inform technical design
- Ability to work with technical team members as well as functional team members on delivery projects & programs
- An expert in core SaaS principles
- Experience with at least one standard network security protocol (eg. OAuth, OAuth2, SAML, LDAP)
- An understanding of core security concerns within a typical application (password hashing, SSL/TLS, encryption at rest, XSS, XSRF)
- Coach and mentor more junior team members as necessary on projects & programs
- Typically 10-25% travel
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or a comparable field is preferred.
- 10+ years of identity & cybersecurity strategic advisory within the Public Sector - U.S. federal agencies (DoD/Intel/Civilian) as well as State, Local and Educational (SLED) agencies and institutions
- 8+ years digital strategy experience - influencing the purchase of value-added technology products and/or technology services.
- U.S. Military Service is preferred
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
#LI-RemoteThe OTE range for this position for candidates located in the San Francisco Bay area is between:$214,700—$311,300 USD
Below is the annual On Target Compensation (OTE) range for candidates located in California, Colorado, New York and Washington. Your actual OTE, which is inclusive of base salary and incentive compensation, will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location. In addition, Okta offers equity (where applicable) and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies. To learn more about our Total Rewards program please visit: https://rewards.okta.com/us.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.