The Okta Customer Support Team is focused on making Okta customers, developers and partners successful by advocating on their behalf, resolving technical issues and challenges, and maintaining the high quality service they expect.
As the Senior Manager of Escalation Engineering you will be responsible for defining and executing the strategy to mitigate situations that lead to customer escalations, and effectively handling and addressing situations that become escalations. You will regularly work with Okta’s development engineering and technical operations teams, as well as a variety of internal team customers. As such, you will need to be an adept communicator, equally comfortable having a detailed technical conversation with an engineer as delivering a high-level technical overview to a VP or CxO. You will grow, develop and motivate a team of Escalation Engineers . Independently drive and monitor complex escalations from initiation through resolution by developing a success-driven plan while leading a cross-functional team with customer and internal key stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and drive the overall resolution of highly visible, global and strategic customer situations, ensuring 100% customer satisfaction.
- Engage and collaborate closely with the Escalation team to establish, supervise, and review critical metrics with members in weekly 1:1s
- Regularly sync with Support management, Sales, Product and Engineering to actively uncover potential customer concerns .
- Lead the resolution of critical technical issues, providing prompt and complete resolution to technical challenges and business issues, often spanning multiple product lines.
- Work with the team to develop and refine regional decision-making metrics regarding, escalations/ bug report workload and growth indicators and go -live engagements.
- Written and verbal communication skills; including the ability to clearly articulate technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences, and also explain impact in business terms.
- Understand the impact of each escalation to our business and use this to aid in quantifying the need for resources from other teams.
- A "do whatever it takes" customer-first attitude and willingness to go above and beyond to ensure customer success.
- Provide regular employee coaching and on-going guidance to help employees achieve career development aspirations.
- Analyze data and surface insights from escalations to advocate on behalf of customers, drive decision making to improve products and processes, and drive long term customer and partner loyalty.
- Inspire trust and confidence in Okta when communicating with customers.
- Identify trends in Product technical red accounts, and provide feedback to Support and Engineering.
- Provide timely account or issue status in executive summary format, reporting both to customers and management.
- Identify renewal risks and collaborate with internal teams to mitigate this risk.
- Ensure team readiness for supporting new products and services.
- Build and maintain infrastructure and tools that scale to both prevent and catch/address issues raised by internal teams and customers. This includes building "early warning" processes, triaging escalated cases, regular oversight and follow-ups, and ensuring timely resolution.
- Plan staffing requirements and hire skilled team members to meet business goals.
- 8-10+ years of experience in technical support or consulting delivery, with a minimum of 4+ years in a managerial capacity.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a technical discipline. Master’s degree/MBA is a plus.
- A strategic thinker, able to come up with out of the box solutions, while also having strong operational excellence skills to be able to drive strong execution of the team’s vision and operational metrics.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and be effective at collaborating with a wide variety of individuals.
- Ability to influence others, include those outside of immediate team.
- Ability to handle conflict and drive agreement on decisions for which conflicting opinions and input exist.
- Experience in Escalations Engineer, Technical Account Management, Engineering Management, Customer Support Management, Program/Project Management, or similar roles desired.
- Strong, data driven problem resolution and decision making skills.
- Ability to identify risks and dependencies and put in place plans to mitigate them.
- Adaptability, flexibility and the conviction to “do the right thing” under stress, high tension and tight deadlines.
- Experience with, or understanding of, large scale software deployments.
- A strong leader with the ability to attract, motivate, retain and develop people.
- Familiarity with security or identity management industry is a strong plus.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a dynamic environment.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.