The Tier 3 Support Engineer – Okta Access Gateways serves as an escalation resource and subject matter expert for Okta’s access gateway offering. You will be responsible for engaging with customers and resolving mission critical customer issues in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate is a seasoned technical specialist with a deep understanding of cloud, on-prem, and hybrid-cloud environments in heterogenous architectures who can turn customer challenges into product improvement opportunities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive resolution of technical escalations, including identification of root cause and issue resolution.
- Collect information and document bugs with Engineering for product issues that are impacting customers.
- Serve as internal and external point of contact on customer escalations and ensure customer issues are resolved as expediently as possible.
- Provide interface between Customer Support and Product / Engineering teams.
- Meet or exceed customer expectations on response quality, timeliness of responses and overall customer experience.
- Provide technical and non-technical mentoring to Tier 1 and Tier 2 Support Engineers.
- Provide well-thought out and reliable direction, both in technical and non-technical terms, to help customers integrate, deploy and maintain the Okta service.
- Author and Review knowledge base content to drive support scalability and improve customer self service capabilities.
- Provide feedback to the training and documentation organization so that common or emerging issues can be addressed before they become serious or widespread.
- Push creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry standard practices to come up with process improvements and new ways to delight customers.
- Deliver against customer experience and efficiency targets.
- Function as a liaison between support and product management teams.
- BA/BS/MS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or equivalent work experience
- 8-10+ years of customer facing support.
- 7+ years supporting and/or administration of Microsoft server-side stack including (Active Directory, Load Balancers, IIS, Group policies).
- 7+ years supporting and/or administration of Linux in mission critical use cases and expert level CLI knowledge.
- 3+ years administering production LDAP environments.
- Excellent relationship management, customer service and communication skills in variety of forms (written, live chat, conference calls, in-person).
- Excellent analytical and organizational abilities.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and as a part of a team.
- 3+ years of administering NGINX and utilization of NGINX scripting nomenclature.
- 3+ years of experience in creation, maintenance, and execution of bash, zsh, or ksh scripts.
- In depth understanding of single sign on protocols (SAML, OIDC, Header based authentication, Kerberos, and URL based authorization.
- Strong time management skills and ability to get up to speed on new technologies quickly.
- In depth understanding of TLS, certificates, and troubleshooting of related issues.
- An in depth understanding of virtualization technologies (VMWare ESXI and workstation, Amazon EC2) and hands-on experience in their administration.
- A demonstrated passion for solving complex puzzles and leveraging learnings for iterative improvements.
- Understanding of NAT, firewall configuration, and firewall rule evaluation.
Strongly Desired Qualifications:
- A deep understanding of all OSI layers and the appropriate methodologies to troubleshoot issues within each.
- Experience with addressing customer escalations and relaying concise and audience digestible updates to executive stakeholders.
- Okta certified consultant.
- Experience with Python and/or php.
- Relevant industry certifications are desired (CCNA, CCNP, AWS, RHCE, Linux+, etc.)
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 8,400 organizations, including JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.
Identity is at the core of everything we do. And to us at Okta, that doesn’t just mean securing the identities of our customers, but also celebrating the identities of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is to nurture a culture of inclusion and belonging while we create balanced teams to fuel innovation and collective growth.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.