We are looking for top notch backend engineers to solve some of the toughest problems in Okta Engineering and own the performance of our growing Core Platform. This platform lays the foundation with a multitude of common services like caching, DB clustering and asynchronous frameworks that the rest of the engineering teams build on. This multifaceted team crafts new solutions and tunes the platform that helps Okta provide a performant, scalable and robust service to our customers while optimizing the use of underlying infrastructure. They are the guardians of our service and have strong sponsorship from engineering leadership to strike the right balance to serve our customers while protecting the service.
We hope you share our passion for the work we do and want to join an engineering team that strongly believes in automated testing and an iterative process to build high-quality next-generation cloud platforms.
Our elite team is fast, innovative and flexible. We expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects and emerging technologies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall ownership of application responsiveness and load management
- Design, implement and test new frameworks/services that center around performance, scalability and efficiency
- Analyze performance metrics and logs to identify inefficiencies and opportunities to improve scalability and performance
- Manage/tune application level service protection settings such as rate limits, job throttles, and batch sizes
- Collaborate across various teams and be a champion for Performance
- Either optimize inefficient code or work with the code's owner to optimize or rewrite
- SQL Query Tuning: complex query plan analysis and optimization and Schema (re-) design
- Actively monitor production using tools such as Splunk, Wavefront, AppDynamics, VivdCortex, NewRelic etc.
- Maintain and enhance our performance monitoring and analysis telemetry, frameworks and tools
- Work with customers and customer support to analyze customer use cases to address scale and performance demands
- Track performance profiles over time and investigate changes therein
- To participate in scheduled on-call rotations that investigates critical performance related customer escalations
- Test-driven development, design and code reviews
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 7+ years of experience as a software developer working with Java or similar language
- 3+ years of experience in a role with focus on performance aspects of SaaS offering
- 5+ years of experience with SQL and related technologies, preferably MySQL and Hibernate
- Experience in Query optimization and relational database schema design
- Expertise in any of the following: Redis, Storm, ElasticSearch, Cassandra
- Experience troubleshooting and/or tuning SAAS/PAAS/IAAS performance
- Experience troubleshooting and/or tuning "big data" Analytics performance
Education and Training:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.