We are looking for top notch backend engineers who have experience and a passion for designing, implementing and running complex large-scale services in multiple public cloud platforms. The Core Okta platform lays the foundation with multitudes of common components and services like caching, ElasticSearch clusters, DB clustering and async frameworks that rest of the engineering teams build on. The ideal candidate will be a key contributor in making this platform compatible with multiple public clouds. You will evaluate & adopt new technologies and be part of a team that helps run Okta’s service efficiently at scale, while maintaining our standard for a reliable, robust and responsive service for our customers.
This role requires collaboration across multiple Engineering and Site Reliability teams to ensure all solutions are holistically built, from implementation to delivery and support. You'll be joining a team of highly skilled and talented team players who are ready for challenges that come with making an enterprise service like Okta compatible with various public cloud platforms.
Our elite team is fast, creative and flexible; with a weekly release cycle and individual ownership we expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies and significant equity in a company that is changing the cloud computing landscape.
What You'll Do:
- Work with various engineering teams to evaluate foundational changes needed to make Okta’s service run across multiple cloud platforms
- Collaborate with Architects and other Engineering leads to evaluate and make technology choices
- Drive development and roll out of new frameworks
- Drive these changes holistically from design, development, testing and deployment of the service
- Conduct design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standard by writing unit and functional tests
- Collaborate with Architects, QA, Product Owners, Engineering Services, Tech Ops
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid technology chops in architecting, implementing, tuning and debugging an enterprise cloud service
- 5+ years of expansive programming experience in an object-oriented programming language like Java, especially in backend services
- 3+ years’ experience of working with MySQL or equivalent relational database systems
- 3+ years of experience with Docker, Kubernetes or cloud managed Kubernetes, Service Mesh
- Experience with enterprise SaaS in multiple cloud platforms is highly desirable
- Demonstrably followed best software engineering principles
- Familiarity with Agile software development process
- Previous experience in a Platform team will be nice to have
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent; master's preferred