Okta is looking for a Development Manager to help us lead and manage a team of top-notch backend engineers who solve some of the hardest problems in Okta Engineering and own the reliability of our growing Core Platform. This platform lays the foundation with multitude of common services like caching, DB clustering, disaster recovery and async frameworks that rest of the engineering teams build on. This multi-faceted team evaluates and adopts new technologies, builds innovative frameworks, crafts new microservices and tunes the platform that help Okta provide a reliable, robust and responsive service to our customers. The projects that this team works on are impactful and highly visible presenting excellent growth opportunities and breadth of experience across various technologies.
We are looking for smart, innovative and passionate hands-on manager who is ready to dig into details, if need be. You will share our passion and great pride in managing an engineering team that strongly believes in designing for scale and performance, rigorous code reviews, automated testing, and an iterative process to build high-quality next generation enterprise software. You will partner with various other engineering teams, Senior Engineering Management, Architects and Technical Operations team to build a robust platform and enrich our ecosystem with scalable services. If you are someone with a passion for technology and a track record in leading engineering teams, building scalable infrastructures and platforms, enjoy closely collaborating with stakeholders in adjacent organizations, this is the place for you!
With Okta's mantra of “Always On!” there's never a dull moment. Our biggest asset is our team of passionate engineers and technically minded managers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish clear priorities, expectations, and accountability for individuals and team
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, Senior Engineering Management, Architects and Technical Operations team to help define and refine the team’s roadmap
- Drive execution and delivery of roadmap items with high quality by working with cross-functional teams, system architects and QA.
- Provide regular feedback, technical guidance, and mentoring to team members
- Foster collaborative, engaging and inclusive team environments
- Maintain and improve our culture by sourcing and hiring only the most qualified individuals with an eye towards diversity & inclusion
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 8+ years of experience in developing enterprise cloud software development
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Experience working with product & program managers to align on objectives, priorities, trade-offs and risk
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for technical discussions
- Ability to work effectively with distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- Lead, recruit, mentor and retain engineers
- Expertise in managing projects using Java, MySql, Elasticsearch, Redis or similar technologies
- Experience or knowledge of cloud computing services such as AWS/Azure/GCP
- Experience managing a framework/platform team
- Shipped a large-scale project with cross team dependencies
- Enjoy communicating to all levels of engineering management, customer support and technical operations
- Knowledge of network security, encryption, identity and provisioning a plus
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s Degree majoring in computer science or equivalent
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,950 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.