Okta authenticates, authorizes and provisions millions of users a day. The service is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) across multiple availability zones and geographically separated regions. The service is designed for high throughput, and 100% availability. We're looking for a technical leader to help us to continue to scale the service with great people and reliable, cost-effective and efficient infrastructure, processes and tooling.
As the Director of Engineering, Federal you will lead Federal initiatives and programs (FedRAMP High, IL-4) and the Federal SRE team to make the Okta service available to Federal customers and agencies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- You will lead the Federal SRE (Site Reliability Engineers) team and initiatives across TechOps and the service infrastructure.
- Partner with Compliance, and Security organizations to provide and adapt the infrastructure, architecture, and services to run the service inside GovCloud environments and subject to compliance controls (ex FedRAMP High, IL-4).
- Support compliance audits by generating audit evidence, writing and updating processes, and updating compliance diagrams.
- Hire, develop, mentor, and retain extraordinary talent for the distributed team of Site Reliability Engineers focused on FedRAMP High and IL-4 programs.
- Perform engineering design evaluations and ensure the completion of projects within resource, budget, and scheduling constraints.
- "Always On" service delivery. Participate in 24x7 site reliability rotations and escalation workflows.
- Manage service and business expectations and prioritize resource allocation.
- Participate in core team meetings to discuss status, risks, and mitigation strategies.
- Ensure that we build and maintain the automation tools and processes required to reliably and efficiently manage and secure our fleet.
- Continue to evolve our service architecture of microservices, containers, and a monolith to take advantage of new cloud infrastructure services and modern scalability concepts (i.e. pets vs cattle).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 8+ years of experience in technical leadership.
- 5+ years of experience in people management.
- Extensive experience using Agile and DevOps methodologies to build product infrastructure along with the monitoring, alerting and tooling required to operate it.
- 3+ years of experience running large-scale infrastructure supporting a cloud service in a public cloud provider, preferably AWS.
- Experience navigating security and compliance certification audits (eg FedRAMP).
- Solid background in Linux system administration and understanding of automation scripting languages (eg Python), configuration management systems (eg Chef), and logging and monitoring frameworks (eg Splunk, Zabbix).
- Deep expertise in securing cloud infrastructure (eg security monitoring, PAM, key-based authentication, role-based authorization, audit logging and patching).
- Effective verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
Education and Training:
- Computer Science Degree or related degree or equivalent experience
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.