Okta is an enterprise-grade identity management service built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta, you can manage access across any application, person, or device. Whether the people are employees, partners, or customers, or the applications are in the cloud, on-premises, or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure by making people more productive while maintaining compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built-in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
The Director of Data Platforms-Engineering will head the Software Engineering organization responsible for building a data platform core to Okta’s vision.
The Data Platform team is responsible for designing, building, and deploying foundational data services, systems, and products for Okta that benefit our users. Today, the Data Platform team solves challenges and enables:
- Streaming analytics as well as interactive end-user reporting.
- Data and ML platform for Okta to scale
- Telemetry of our products and data
Our team is just getting started, and extensive future opportunities include powering business analytics, machine learning, and user insights at the Okta scale.
Today, our data platform stack sits on top of many modern technologies, including Kinesis, Flink, Elasticsearch, and Snowflake. Our elite team is fast, creative, and flexible. With a weekly release cycle and individual ownership, we expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies, and the chance to have significant equity in a company that is changing the cloud computing landscape forever.
The ideal candidate is a hands-on engineering leader, creative about enabling future possibilities, passionate about collaborating cross-functionally, and delivering highly impactful products and solutions. You have experience developing data platforms or related software and are passionate about security, authentication, or identity. You will bring out the best in each engineer by continuously evaluating how to improve engineering productivity and hire and develop talent while ensuring the highest software quality.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the vision and execution of expanding our data platform efforts by partnering closely with Product Management
- Scope, plan and operationalize engineering efforts with a keen eye for engineering efficiency, quality, and team growth
- Lead and manage an organization of software engineers and managers
- Recruit, retain, and grow a globally distributed and talented group of diverse employees
- Identify/Define/Refine Engineering processes to streamline product delivery and ensure quality
- Facilitate agile project planning and execution of your teams and across other groups to ensure prompt delivery
- Participate in role-specific Engineering Management rotations geared toward supporting the live operation of Okta’s SaaS
- Handle customer escalations directly and indirectly through Support
- Participate in architecture reviews and discussions
- Collaborate effectively with a matrixed organization of QA, Documentation, Product Management, and UX teams
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Five years or more or progressively increasing management responsibility roles in software engineering.
- Prior knowledge in data platforms, analytics, cloud-based distributed computing, or related software development.
- Experience working in Agile software development organizations leveraging continuous integration and deployment practices
- Experience working on low latency, highly scalable, and mission-critical systems
- Knowledge of security, authentication and authorization is a plus but not essential
Desirable knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience building large-scale data platforms or analytics products
- An engineer or technologist at heart
- Experience in UX design or collaborating with UX.
- Experience in working collaboratively across QA, Documentation, Product Management, and UX teams
Education and training:
- B.S. Computer Science or related field (MS or Ph.D. preferred)
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $204,000/year + equity + benefits))