Okta is seeking management leadership to help drive documentation across all of our growing product portfolios for both administrator and end user documentation. You will report to the Senior Documentation Manager and lead one of our Product Documentation teams. This role will be responsible for not only managing a team of writers, hiring new team members, but also contributing to the strategy, direction and communication of a team with a mission to produce quality content.
Our writers are embedded with the teams they are partnering with to deliver solid docs, so you would be responsible for ensuring close partnerships, growth, and measurable impact. Our product portfolios and engineering organization continue to grow at a rapid rate, and we need the right leadership, to help us scale and define the right strategy to take our documentation to the next level! If you are someone who is interested in making a difference, this is the place for you!
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the department head to drive the long-term strategy and planning for product documentation in collaboration with engineering and product teams.
- Define and plan content projects, set targets, and measure success and effectiveness of deliverables leveraging Agile methodology.
- Leverage resources, expertise, and knowledge across multiple projects to ensure attainment of project deliverables from project start to completion.
- Lead by example and set clear expectations and create a positive work environment that ensures a positive, respectful team environment, fostering collaboration and development.
- Mentor, guide, train and manage a team of talented & motivated professionals skilled in the art of technical writing. We have development offices in San Francisco, Bellevue and Toronto as well as remote workers, and you will be managing teams spread across North America.
- Interface with QA, Product Management, Technical Support, and Technical Operations.
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 10+ years of technical documentation experience in a technology company. Practical experience in topic-based writing, minimalism, and scenario-driven development.
- 5+ years directly leading and managing technical writers developing software documentation in an Agile scrum software development life cycle (SDLC) environment.
- Experience with evaluating and implementation of various forms of documentation delivery technologies and tools including Oxygen, DITA, and Madcap Flare.
- Ability to effectively manage a remote and/or geographically dispersed team.
- Proven track record in performance management and career development of individual contributors.
- Solid knowledge of XML, HTML and system administration tasks on Windows/Mac platforms, including role administration, system and mobile configurations, rule and policy management, security, and distributed deployment.
- Experience with Git or Github a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing, web services, IaaS, PaaS, or related areas.
- Experience using Git or other version-control system (VCS).
- Experience with localization and translations of documents in various languages.
Education and Training:
Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Technical and/or Professional Writing, Library & Information Science, Management, related degree or equivalent professional experience.
Okta is an equal opportunity employer
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs.