Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box, we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The Universal Directory Team
The Okta platform provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
The Principal Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to work on our directory services. Okta's identity management group is focusing on identity stores and managing the lifecycle. Our platform manages the user, group and memberships, with stringent performance, reliability and scalability requirements. This role is to build, design solutions, and maintain our platform for scale. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience building software systems to manage and deploy reliable and performant infrastructure and product code at scale on a cloud infrastructure.
What you’ll be doing
- Understand our universal directory codebase and development process: Jira, Technical Designs, Code Review, Testing, and Deployment
- Work on developing the Universal Directory service layer definitions with the these deliverables:
- Isolate Data Access Objects
- Modularize and packaging user and user profile related code
- Refactor, develop and migrate old code reference internal service layer for components within monolith to interact with user entity objects
- Provide support and handle incoming bugs and customer reported issues
- Conduct quality code reviews and automated testings
- As part of the ongoing development in the team, provide technical leadership and mentorship to junior engineers
- Partner with our Product Development, QA, and Site Reliability Engineering teams for scoping the development and deployment work
What you'll bring to the role
- The ideal candidate is someone who is experienced building software systems to manage and deploy reliable and performan infrastructure and product code at scale on a cloud infrastructure
- 10+ years of Software Development in Java, preferably significant experiences with Hibernate and Spring Boot
- 7+ years of development experience building services, internal tools and frameworks
- 5+ years experience automating and deploying large scale production services in AWS, GCP or similar
- Hands-on understanding with the practical application of SQL databases
- Proficient knowledge and experience of ElasticSearch, Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
- Ability to work effectively with distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- Lead and mentor junior engineers
- This is an Onsite position
- B.S. Computer Science or equivalent
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.