Okta is the identity standard. The Okta Identity Cloud is an independent and neutral platform that securely connects the right people to the right technologies at the right time. We help organizations do two things - secure and manage their extended enterprise, and transform their customers’ experiences. With over 13,000 customers, 7000+ app integrations, and well over 200 million registered users, we are only getting started.
As a principal developer on the Core Engineering team, you will work actively on defining, evolving and enforcing standard software development practices and procedures, primarily for our Java code base. In accordance with these practices, you will refactor, and reorganize our code base so that development remains intuitive, maintainable and efficient. The team you will work with is chartered with revamping Okta’s software development process. You will have opportunities to recommend and drive changes to how we scale our software development as Okta continues to grow.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Understand, analyze usage of and drive improvements to Okta’s software development practices
- Review code base for opportunities to modularize it for efficient and intuitive development
- Revamp code base for improved build, test, and production running times
- Build frameworks that guide and enforce good design and coding practices
- Provide guidelines to enable best practices for code organization and development
- Profile and tune performance of both development and production environments
- Work with developers, architects and release engineering to keep the code and overall development process efficient
- Stay abreast of industry trends for best software development practices and cross-pollinate those ideas and processes with Okta's development standards
- Bachelor’s degree or above in computer science or equivalent
- 8+ years of industry experience developing Internet scale software in Java. Hands-on experience with Java 8+ and the associated modern programming idioms is a major plus.
- Proven track record of re-architecting and refactoring large code bases with the goal to unlock development and runtime efficiencies
- 5+ year of experience of developing, debugging, profiling and performance tuning in Java, Spring, Hibernate and Tomcat
- Deep knowledge of and experience in software design and development principles as they apply to transitioning of monoliths to microservices. You’re able to balance the operational needs of a revenue generating code base vis-a-vis its strategic reorganization
- 4+ years of experience with databases (MySQL, Redis), and data stores (S3, Elasticsearch)
- 3+ years experience in solving performance issues in development environments. Superior knowledge of various code profiling tools and techniques
- Experience with software development at scale, especially in public cloud environments (AWS, GCP etc.)
- Well versed with build tools like Maven, Gradle, Bazel etc. -- configuring, profiling, and fine tuning those for superior performance
- Knowledge of common scripting languages, and of containerization tools like Docker and Kubernetes/ECS
- Familiar with CI/CD pipelines, and Agile development methodologies. Experience in the Identity domain is a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively across engineering teams, and get up to speed with new technologies
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.