Okta is the identity standard. The Okta Identity Cloud is an independent and neutral platform that securely connects the right people to the right technologies at the right time. We help organizations do two things - secure and manage their extended enterprise and transform their customers' experiences. With over 10,650 customers, 7000+ app integrations, and well over 100 million registered users, we are only getting started.
We're looking for a principal level backend engineer to join our team of highly skilled and talented players who are proud of what they own and deliver. Our creative, elite team enjoys weekly release cycles, individual ownership, stimulating new projects, and new technologies. In this role you can have significant equity in a company that is about to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
In this role you will be responsible for building and evolving shared infrastructure and services that lay the foundation for what other engineering teams build on. Leading common shared services like search, cache, configuration management, frameworks for async job management, and email pipeline. We're cloud native, where redundancy, multi-tenancy, scale, resource optimization and resiliency are first class citizens. With Okta's mantra of “Always On!” there's never a dull moment. Our biggest asset is our team of passionate engineers and technically minded managers.
- Work with engineering teams to design, develop and deliver cloud-based infrastructure projects that will solve reliability issues and help Okta’s service scale
- Champion innovative and scalable solutions across the engineering organization
- Operate, support, upgrade and scale shared services and frameworks
- Evaluate existing systems to evolve them for serving in specialized circumstances
- Conduct design and code reviews and ensure high programming standards
- Evaluate system performance and resolve bottlenecks
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior developers
- Collaborate with architects, QA, product owners, security, and operations engineers
- Solid experience in architecting, implementing, tuning, and debugging large enterprise cloud deployments
- 7+ years’ back-end programming experience in an object-oriented language like Java
- A superior understanding of multithreading, garbage collection, memory management.
- 4+ years’ experience working with MySQL or equivalent relational database systems.
- Experience of working with Rest and thorough understanding of its fundamentals
- Experience with AWS, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Docker
- Demonstrably followed best software engineering principles
- Familiarity with Agile software development process
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.