Title of Job: SVP Platform & Workforce Engineering
Role Located in: USA or Canada
Okta is seeking an experienced leader to head its Platform & Workforce Core group. This group is responsible for building Okta’s core authentication pipeline and many of the core functional pieces of Okta’s workforce oriented product; this includes the teams that implement protocols, authentication policies, device software (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows), and Okta’s ML & Data teams.
Ideal candidates have a passion for building large scale and complex cloud software and have experience in building platforms. This is a high visibility and impact position within Okta.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the execution of the vision of our authentication platform and workforce products and work in conjunction with Product Management to continually define and refine the long-term vision for these areas
- Lead and manage an organization of software engineers, architects and managers (of all levels, including VPs)
- Recruit, retain and grow a talented group of diverse employees
- Engage as needed in the running of Okta’s highly available (four 9’s) SaaS service
- Participate in architecture reviews and discussions
- Work with Product Management and direct staff to scope and plan engineering efforts
- Provide guidance and influence in other areas of Engineering (e.g. DevOps, Test Engineering, Security)
- Drive and communicate the vision of the product to internal & external audiences
- Foster, enable and promote innovation and IP Protection
- Keep abreast of and introduce at Okta, broader technical, operational and market trends from the industry
- Collaborate effectively with a matrixed organization of QA, Documentation, PM, and UX
- Work on diligence during M&A that is related to overseen portfolio
- Work on various x-functional initiatives within Engineering and Okta
- Interact with customers in customer advisory boards, Okta’s Executive Sponsorship program and (at times) in escalated customer incidents
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- 15+ years or progressive responsibility management roles in software engineering with a strong background in commercial enterprise software development
- Experience leading software organizations of over 200 employees
- Experience working in Agile software development organizations leveraging continuous integration and deployment practices.
- Solid grasp of modern software engineering principles and practices, in particular in organizations working with highly available and scalable SaaS
- Understanding and appreciation for TDD
Additional Desirable Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Background as a software engineer working on complex software products
- Understanding of Identity and Access Management protocols and technologies (FIDO, U2F, Web-Auth, SSO, SAML, OAuth, Federation, etc.)
- Experience working on low latency, highly scalable and mission critical environments
- Knowledge or experience working in Security, Cryptography, or Authn & Authz
Education and Training:
- B.S. Computer Science or related field (MS/MBA/PhD preferred)
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $325,000/year + equity + benefits))
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity employer.