The Engineering Lab team creates and supports all pre-production environments needed for engineers to create, test, debug, integrate, hot-fix their code. The Engineering Lab team supports the Continuous Integration environment that is central to our software development process. The Engineering Lab team procures and manages hardware, software, and licenses of all partner software and dependencies. The team also administers partner services inside our pre-production environments.
The Engineering Lab Engineer will be working in the Engineering Services Team.
Here are a few typical requests:
- The product and engineering team wants to create integration with a VPN software. You will procure the VPN software, install, set up, and configure the software to the use case, test the system, and document the steps. Over time as new versions are released, you will set up new versions for forward- and backward-compatibility testing.
- The QA team needs a full-scale test environment to run load testing for four weeks, with the monolith, all micro-services, database pre-loaded with test customers, Microsoft Active Directory, and hardware tokens. We need to create the environment, and provide an estimated cost of how much it’ll cost to run load tests for a month.
You gather requirements from the team, understand what will be run on this environment (more CPU or more read/write?), give the manager a cost estimate for the month. Manager agrees and approves, you create the environment in 1 day because you already automated the provisioning last month. You load data from a seed database, set up AD Directory, and buy tokens from third party vendor. The QA team is up and running in a week with lots of amazement and thanks sent your way, and the Engineering team was able to ship the major new feature within 1 month—you increased Okta’s speed to production.
- The development team wants to investigate an experimental cloud provider. They need the service procured, user accounts created, network and VPN set up, access to internal resources, and deploy their code to the new infrastructure.
You vet the new service to get a general sense of how the cloud provider works, what kind of security and cost implications that we may have. You design the proof-of-concept with risks identified, get a free trial license, configure network, set up VPN, and give internal users a quick tutorial on how to get started. You answer their questions as they move along their experiment.
- Professional Services needs to re-create a customer’s production environment so they can create a custom-solution for them. The customer uses 3 different on-prem software that we have never heard of before that we must integrate with. We need to procure for those 3 on-prem software, set up and configure them, and re-create configurations in our lab using data provided by the customer, and create 2 million test users in the system.
You get on a call with the Professional Service consultant and the customer’s in-house IT lead to obtain the details of the customer’s production environment. You get the specific versions of software, you ask the IT lead to export configs and scrub for sensitive information. You obtain the 3 on-prem software, figure out how to install all of them and load the scrubbed configuration from the customer. You write a script to generate 2 million users over 10 hours. Professional services completes developing their solution for the customer in this environment, books revenue for the month!
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Configuration management, automation, monitoring, and maintenance of Security and VPN applications in Engineering Lab.
- Own version compatibility matrix of Security and VPN applications with Okta’s product.
- Configuration management, automation, monitoring, and maintenance of our Engineering lab.
- Create tools to enable engineers to self-service common lab requests.
- Configure network for our complex pre-prod environments.
- Investigate new technologies and capabilities to improve our existing automation.
- Troubleshoot and help our engineers create test environments.
- Create and maintain documentation on installations, tools, and procedures
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
We are looking for someone who is a great Security and VPN administrator, a good system and network administrator, with automation mindset, and with enthusiasm and aptitude to gain breadth and depth of technical skills on the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Networking, or related technical fields.
- 3+ years experience with Encryption/PKI and Key management Standard, protocol and system
- 3+ years Experience with Enterprise Network Infrastructure and Remote Access Standard and related knowledge/working experience Familiar with RAS protocol.
- Experience in system administration, system or network engineering in a variety of environments: Windows, Mac, Linux.
- Network protocol (TCP/IP, UDP) and its common services.
- Public Cloud experience—AWS strongly preferred.
- Experience with NIS and NIS+.
- Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Virtualization (such as VMWare).
- Docker experience.
- Java and VM tuning
- Shell scripting
- Configuration Management tools (Chef, Puppet)
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.