Title of Job: Site Reliability Engineer Intern
Role Location: Okta Headquarters (San Francisco, CA)
Reports to: Director of Technical Operations
Position Description: Okta is looking for current university students pursuing a degree in Computer Science (or other technology related degree) for a summer internship as a Site Reliability Engineer. The Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for developing tools and automation for the administration of our revenue-generating SaaS application. Classic system administration is a part of this job, but the bulk of time will be spent creating new software that will drive our infrastructure. This is a high-impact role in a fast-paced organization that is poised for massive growth and success. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethic of, “If you have to do something more than once, automate it,” and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead efforts in tool-smithing, automation, and configuration management
- Contribute to designs for new infrastructure services and refinements to old
- Research new promising tools and technologies, and ways to more elegantly/ efficiently solve problems
- Create and maintain documentation on installations, tools, and procedures
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some experience as a front-line operator
- Experience writing software
- Effective communicator with solid writing skills
- General areas of knowledge:
- Administration of complex custom applications on UNIX/Linux and Enterprise Java platforms
- Administration of large collections (i.e. hundreds) of servers
- Experience with the following specific technologies/products, which you will interact with every day:
- Linux (RPM- or Deb-based distributions)
- Cloud-based Infrastructure-as-a-Service (especially AWS)
- Shell scripting and other interpreted languages (Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Centralized logging infrastructure
- Configuration management tools (BCFG2, Puppet, Chef, or similar)
- Docker experience
- Basic Cassandra administration
- Java VM tuning
- Authn/authz services such as Kerberos
- Continuous deployment infrastructure
- Distributed monitoring
Education and Training:
- Current university students pursuing a degree in Computer Science or other technology related degree.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.