Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management system. Okta Access Gateway team is looking for an SRE who is passionate about security, availability and scale to join our newly forming team.
Okta Access Gateway solves the hybrid IT access problem for enterprises, connecting on-premises applications shipped from enterprise software vendors along with custom-built, on-premises applications to the Okta Identity Cloud. Okta Access Gateway is a proxy that can be deployed in a customer’s datacenter or on top of IDaaS providers. Okta Access Gateway provides all the same authentication techniques, risk profiles, conditional access policies that can be applied to SaaS applications to on-premises applications from vendors such as Oracle, IBM, SAP and Microsoft.
The ideal candidate is an experienced infrastructure generalist, who excels at understanding complex problems and working with the systems, teams and tools needed to automate everything and deliver a great experience to our customers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, Update and Install software components and packages using Yum on virtualized and/or bare-metal systems running CentOS/RHEL
- Scripting, building automation tools and frameworks for internal use to support continuous integration and delivery
- Partner with Development, QA and OPS to continuously innovate and enhance our build and automation infrastructure
- Improve and maintain Access Gateway Support VPN server and infrastructure
- Build alerting, monitoring and reporting tools and frameworks to pro-actively identify potential problems affecting customer environments
- Collect and analyze application, system and Network level logs to debug and troubleshoot issues
- Automate AWS infrastructure with Terraform and/or other infrastructure management and automation tools to deploy new versions of software components
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5+ years of operations experience configuring, deploying, monitoring and troubleshooting applications and infrastructure in the cloud and on premise hybrid environments
- Strong coding and scripting skills with one or more of bash/python/php. Experience with git
- In-depth understanding and experience with Ant, Jenkins, and Maven
- Solid understanding of CI/CD release pipelines, and related technologies to implement release pipelines
- Solid understanding of HTTP, Load Balancing, DNS and other networking protocols
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills coupled with a desire to take on ownership and responsibility
- Experience with Nginx, Httpd, Apache Tomcat and other Application Servers
- Experience working with Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet or similar automation tools
- Experience working with comprehensive monitoring / alerting infrastructure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work weekends and/or holidays as required by the business or emergency escalations
- Linux certifications such as Linux+, RHCSA/RHCE/RHCA or similar
- Experience working in a security-oriented cloud environment
- Experience debugging software using gdb, strace, ltrace, tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.
- Experience working with Docker orchestration and management
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work