The Site Reliability Engineer, Security is responsible for developing tools and automation for the security and administration of our revenue-generating SaaS application. Classic system administration is a part of this job, but the bulk of the time will be spent creating new software that will secure and drive our infrastructure. This is a high-impact role in a security-centric, fast-paced organization that is poised for massive growth and success. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethics of, “Security first” and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and build tools to automate detection and mitigation of security vulnerabilities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Building security oriented product features and infrastructure.
• Hardening our application infrastructure against exploitation and privilege escalation
• Building tools and instrument systems to enable intrusion detection
• Identifying and confirming potential security vulnerabilities in our application infrastructure
• Either fixing security vulnerabilities or working with other teams that own the relevant code or infrastructure to get them fixed
• Working closely with our Chief Security Officer and his team to address their concerns and getting maximum benefit from their penetration testing and their architecture reviews
• Contributing to designs for new infrastructure services and refinements to existing ones
• Researching new promising tools and technologies, and ways to more elegantly and efficiently solve problems
• Creating and maintaining documentation on installations, tools, and procedures
• Participating in the 24x7 on-call rotation
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent understanding and experience with threat vectors(e.g. DDOS), including how to identify, mitigate and prevent
• Experience working in multiple security domains such as platform hardening, vulnerability management, applied cryptography, network protocols and secure network design
• Experience with bastion environments, privileged access management, key-based authentication, compliance standards such as FEDRAMP
• Some experience as a front-line operator
• Extensive experience writing tools and automation
• Effective communicator with solid writing skills
General areas of knowledge:
• Administration of complex custom applications on UNIX/Linux and Enterprise Java platforms
• Administration of large collections (i.e. thousands) of instances
Experience with the following specific technologies/products, which you will interact with every day:
• Linux (RPM- or Deb-based distributions)
• Cloud-based Infrastructure-as-a-Service (especially AWS)
• Shell scripting and other interpreted languages (Ruby, Python, Perl)
• Centralized logging infrastructure
• Configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, BCFG2 or similar)
• Ansible, Terraform, Docker
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.