Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta you can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
Okta is seeking a highly technical and experienced architect to join its Devices Engineering group. Devices Engineering is responsible for building client software that runs on MacOS, Windows, iOS and Android as well as the cloud software to support these clients. Okta device software provides end users seamless yet secure access to their services by inspecting and leveraging the security posture of devices. Ideal candidates have a passion for working on one or more desktop or mobile platforms, have deep expertise and extensive experience in those platforms, and are comfortable leading the technical path of an organization breaking ground in a new frontier. This is a high visibility and impact position within Okta.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Help drive the long-term architecture of our device software by working in conjunction with Product Management to align with business goals
- Translate product and market requirements into designs that align with mid and long-term goals for the product and technology evolution
- Design, implement (code), review and troubleshoot highly scalable client, and if comfortable, server-side software
- Work with engineering management to scope and plan engineering efforts
- Provide technical guidance and influence in other areas of the Engineering (e.g. DevOps, Test Engineering, Security)
- Analyze and refine requirements with Product Management
- Communicate the vision of the product to external entities
- Foster, enable and promote innovation and IP Protection
- Keep abreast of and introduce at Okta, broader technical trends from the industry
- Interface with QA, Technical Support, Documentation and UX teams
- Work on technical diligence in M&A that is related to Okta’s Devices product portfolio
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- 15+ years experience working in development roles in software engineering
- Deep knowledge and native code development skills in at least one of the following: Android, iOS, macOS, Windows.
- Hands-on software development skills
- Comfortable writing agent-based software
- Good understanding of design-patterns and object-oriented design.
- PKI and related stacks: X.509, TLS, SSH
- Experience working in Agile software development teams leveraging continuous integration and deployment practices.
- Solid grasp of software engineering principles and practices
- Understanding and appreciation for TDD
Additional Desirable Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Experience building large-scale enterprise software or SaaS products
- As much familiarity as possible with Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective C, C#. Additional languages a welcome plus
- Understanding of credential providers and security models
- Understanding of Identity and Access Management protocols and technologies (FIDO, U2F, Web-Auth, SSO, SAML, OAuth, Federation, etc.)
- Familiarity with authentication protocols in one or more of: macOS, Android, Win, iOS
- Experience with one or more of: Spring, REST, Maven, AWS, Redis, MySQL, Tomcat
- Experience working on low latency, highly scalable and mission critical environments
- Knowledge or experience working in Security, Cryptography, or Authn & Authz
Education and Training
- B.S. Computer Science or related field (MS/PhD preferred)
Okta is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 8,400 organizations, including JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.
Identity is at the core of everything we do. And to us at Okta, that doesn’t just mean securing the identities of our customers, but also celebrating the identities of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is to nurture a culture of inclusion and belonging while we create balanced teams to fuel innovation and collective growth.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.