We are looking for top notch back end engineers who solve some of the hardest problems in Okta Engineering and own the reliability of our growing Core Platform. This platform lays the foundation with multitude of common services like caching, DB clustering and async frameworks that rest of the engineering teams build on. This multi-faceted team evaluates and adopts new technologies, builds innovative frameworks, crafts new microservices and tunes the platform that help Okta provide a reliable, robust and responsive service to our customers. The projects these engineers work on are impactful and highly visible presenting excellent growth opportunities and breadth of experience across various technologies. We're cloud native, where redundancy, multi-tenancy, scale, resource optimization and resiliency are first class citizens. With Okta's mantra of “Always On!” there's never a dull moment. Our biggest asset is our team of passionate engineers and technically minded managers.
You'll be joining a team of highly skilled and talented team players who're proud of what they own and deliver. Our elite team is fast, creative and flexible; with a weekly release cycle and individual ownership we expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies and the chance to have significant equity in a company that is about to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the long-term vision and architecture of reliability and resiliency, both of core software and infrastructure
- Work with engineering teams to design, develop and deliver cloud-based infrastructure projects that will solve reliability issues and help Okta’s service scale
- Champion innovative and scalable solutions across the engineering organization
- Promote a strong culture of innovation, drive evaluation, development and roll out of new technologies/frameworks. Actively research, brainstorm, prototype, and present ideas.
- Conduct design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standards and set an example by following best practices.
- Provide technical guidance and influence in other areas of the Engineering (for example, Security, Test Engineering, Operations)
- Communicate the vision to key stakeholders inside and outside the org.
- Collaborate with other Architects, QA, Product Owners, Engineering Services, Tech Ops
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Immense passion for best practices and doing the right thing to help Okta's technology stay ahead of its anticipated business growth
- Extensive experience building large-scale enterprise software or SaaS products
- Solid technology chops in architecting, implementing, tuning and debugging some of the largest cloud deployments in the enterprise world
- 12+ years of expansive programming experience in an object-oriented programming language like Java, especially in backend services. A superior understanding of multithreading, garbage collection, memory management
- 8+ years experience of working with MySQL or equivalent relational database systems
- Broad and deep experience with cloud IaaS/PaaS providers and modern stack technologies: Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker or similar
- Demonstrably followed best software engineering principles
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent; master's preferred
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $204,000 /year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.