We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer, Performance to join an elite engineering team that focuses on enabling next generation cloud software for speed, scale and high availability. Our vision is to connect every user, every application, every organization and every device. As a leading cloud Identity platform we are always looking for innovative solutions to scale our platform to support that vision, drive a delightful customer experience and maximize value from our infrastructure. Come join a team that has far reaching influence across engineering and keeps performance center to our innovations.
This candidate must have the technical mastery to write fast, efficient code and have intolerance for inefficiencies, be able to influence others to make performance improvements. This engineer must also be able to quantify everything related to performance by using the right tools and metrics.
We hope you will share our passion and join a team that strongly believes in automated testing, and an iterative process to build high-quality next-generation cloud platforms. Our team is fast, innovative and agile, with a weekly release cycle and individual ownership. We expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, emerging technologies and the chance to have a significant impact on a company that is focused to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall ownership of application responsiveness and load management
- Design and develop innovative frameworks or solutions that will help the Okta Service scale
- Analyze performance metrics, logs and memory management to identify inefficiencies
- Execute on optimizing inefficient code or work with the code's owner to optimize/rewrite
- Work with customers and customer support to analyze use cases to address scale and performance demands
- Actively monitor production using APM tools like AppDynamics, NewRelic etc
- Own application level service protection settings such as rate limits, job throttles, and batch sizes
- Conduct SQL Query analysis and schema optimization
- Maintain and enhance our performance monitoring, analysis telemetry, frameworks and tools
- Track performance profiles over time and understand usage patterns
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to more junior engineers
- Have an opinion during design and code reviews
- Interface with Architects, QA, Engineering Services, Tech Ops
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years software development experience in an object-oriented language, preferably Java
- 1+ years of experience as a performance engineer or similar profile
- Experience working with RDBMS, preferably MySql
- Experience with SaaS at scale
- Good grasp of APM tools
- Excellent grasp of software engineering principles
- Experience in JVM and garbage collector tuning, heap dump analysis
- Experience analyzing and interpreting large volume of production data using Splunk to understand throughput, latency, memory and CPU utilization
- Experience troubleshooting and/or tuning "big data" Analytics performance
Education and Training:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.