At Okta, our motto is "Always On," and nowhere do we embrace that more than in Technical Operations. We strive to build the most reliable and performant systems on the planet through the skillful use of automation. If you like to be challenged and have a passion for solving large-scale automation, testing, and tuning problems, we would love to hear from you. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethics of, “If you have to do something more than once, automate it” and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools.
You will work on:
- Designing, building, running, and monitoring Okta's production infrastructure
- Be an evangelist for security best practices and also lead initiatives/projects to strengthen our security posture for critical infrastructure
- Responding to production incidents and determining how we can prevent them in the future
- Triaging and troubleshooting complex production issues to ensure reliability and performance
- Identifying and automating manual processes
- Continuously evolving our monitoring tools and platform
- Promoting and applying best practices for building scalable and reliable services across engineering
- Developing and maintaining technical documentation, runbooks, and procedures
- Supporting a 24x7 online environment as part of an on-call rotation
- Be a technical SME for a team that designs and builds Okta's production infrastructure, focusing on security at scale in the cloud.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Are always willing to go the extra mile: see a problem, fix the problem.
- Are passionate about encouraging the development of engineering peers and leading by example.
- Have experience automating, securing, and running large-scale production Java/Tomcat and containerized services in AWS (EC2, ECS, KMS, Kinesis, RDS) or other cloud providers.
- Have deep knowledge of CI/CD principles, Linux fundamentals, OS hardening, networking concepts, and IP protocols.
- Have a deep understanding and familiarity with configuration management tools like Chef, Terraform, and Ansible.
- Have expert-level abilities in operational tooling languages such as Ruby, Python, Go and shell, and use of source control.
- Experience with industry-standard security tools like Nessus and OSQuery.
- Understand MySQL, including replication and clustering strategies, and are familiar with data stores such as DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch.
Bonus points for:
- OpsSec production experience
- Experience with Federal and DoD compliance requirements - FedRAMP, IL
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Qualities:
- 6+ years of experience architecting and running complex AWS or other cloud networking infrastructure resources
- 6+ years of experience with Ansible, Chef, and Terraform
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong Linux understanding and experience.
- Strong security background and knowledge.
- BS In computer science (or equivalent experience).
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $154,000/year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.