Okta is the identity standard. The Okta Identity Cloud is an independent and neutral platform that securely connects the right people to the right technologies at the right time. We help organizations do two things - secure and manage their extended enterprise and transform their customers' experiences. With over 9400 customers globally, 6500+ app integrations, and well over 300 million registered users, we are only getting started.
Okta's Core Engineering team is responsible for building and evolving shared infrastructure and services that lay the foundation for what other engineering teams build on. We're in charge of standard shared services like search, cache, configuration management, frameworks for async job management, and email pipeline, to name a few. We're cloud-native, where redundancy, multi-tenancy, scale, resource optimization, and resiliency are first-class citizens. With Okta's mantra of 'Always On!' there's never a dull moment. Our biggest asset is our team of passionate engineers and technically minded managers.
You'll be joining a team of highly skilled and talented team players who're proud of what they own and deliver. Our elite team is fast, creative, and flexible. With a weekly release cycle and individual ownership, we expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies, and the chance to have significant equity in a company that is about to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
What You'll Do:
- Work with engineering teams to design, develop and deliver cloud-based infrastructure projects on a modern tech stack (Redis, Elasticsearch, Docker, Terraform on AWS)
- Drive evaluation, development, and roll-out of new common microservices
- Operate, support, and upgrade shared services and frameworks. Scale these as their usage invariably grows along with Okta's business.
- Help with design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standards by writing unit and functional tests.
- Assist with monitoring, troubleshooting of services and frameworks the team owns
- Collaborate with architects, QA, product owners, security and operations engineers
- Help with mentoring new engineering hires and interns
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Immense passion about doing the right thing to help Okta's technology stay ahead of its anticipated business growth
- Reliable technology chops in architecting, implementing, tuning, and debugging some of the largest cloud deployments in the enterprise world
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- 6+ yrs of extensive programming experience in an object-oriented programming language like Java, especially in backend services. A good understanding of multithreading, garbage collection, memory management.
- 4+ yrs of experience working with MySQL or equivalent relational database systems. Knowledge of NoSQL databases is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience of working with ReST and a good understanding of its fundamentals
- Knowledge of Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate, and Tomcat
- Knowledge of AWS, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Docker
- Familiarity with network security, authentication, and authorization as a nice-to-have
- Demonstrably followed best software engineering principles
- Experience with enterprise SaaS as a good-to-have
- Familiarity with Agile software development process
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent; master's preferred