Okta is seeking management leadership to drive documentation across all of our growing Product porfolios for both end user and API documentation. This role will be responsible for not only managing the overall team, hiring new team members, but also setting the strategy, direction and communication of a team with a mission to produce quality content and connect with other cross functional organizations to align with company wide documentation strategy. Our writers are embedded with the teams they are partnering with to deliver solid docs, so you would be responsible for ensuring solid partnerships, growth, and measurable impact. Our Product porfolios and Engineering organization continue to grow at a rapid rate, and we need the right leadership, reporting directly to the VP of Engineering, to help us scale and define the right strategy to take our documentation to the next level! If you are someone who is interested in making a difference, this is the place for you!
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the strategy and planning for product documentation in collaboration with engineering teams. Define and plan content projects, set targets, and measure success and effectiveness of deliverables leveraging Agile methodology
- Participate and contribute to cross-functional and cross-department high-level content and information strategy. Establish strong cross-functional and cross-organizational relationships with engineering leadership and field teams
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to both your team members and your project peers
- Lead, recruit, and mentor technical writers. We have development offices in San Francisco, Bellevue and Toronto and you will be managing teams spread across two or more offices.
- Interface with QA, Product Management, Technical Support, and Technical Operations
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 10+ years of technical documentation experience. Practical experience in topic-based writing, minimalism, and scenario-driven development
- 5+ years directly leading and managing technical writers developing software documentation in an Agile scrum product development environment
- Solid knowledge of system administration tasks on Windows and Mac platforms, including role administration, system and mobile configurations, rule and policy management, security, and distributed deployment
- Solid knowledge of API reference and developer’s documentation
- Proven track record in performance management and career development of individual contributors.
- Experience with Git or Github a plus
- Familiarity with Madcap Flare and related tools a plus
- Familiarity with KCS and Salesforce Knowledge a plus
Education and Training:
Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Technical and/or Professional Writing, Library & Information Science, Management, or a related degree
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work