Okta Engineering is looking for a Software Principal/Architect to help us solve the difficult problem of scale, velocity, and efficiency. You will drive and perfect our vision of Continuous Delivery, increasing the velocity and productivity or engineering and making the release experience easy and enjoyable. You will work with a wide range of stakeholders and partners, including Engineers, Architects, Operations, Program Management and Quality. We have a great team driving innovative projects - join us and bring your ideas!
- You are the best Java developer on the team and our guiding light; you will be coaching all the engineers in your Sphere to become exceptional Java developers. You will advocate strongly for and demonstrate:
- Fully documented architecture and design decisions
- Thorough and meaningful code reviews
- 90% test coverage
Together with other Architects at Okta, you will steer the technology choice, design, and future of Okta engineering.
- As our architect, we rely on you to come up with the best way to solve problems—conventional or custom built—to make Okta engineers super productive.
- Understand everything around your code—deployment, monitoring, alerting infrastructure (AWS), network, VPC, health checks. You are responsible for the uptime of the product that you write and need to be able to design and implement the system top to bottom.
- We are 100% in AWS. We use SQS to queue requests, a Lambda function determines what kind of build workers are needed, launch 200 docker build workers in ECR to process 45,000 tests using AWS’s ASG, collect the results and store them in Aurora DB, and use our test result analyzer to detect false positives. We have built logic around spot instance usage to manage cost.
- It’ll be great if you have experience in CI or Tools space, but as long as you are a great problem solver, and is willing to take on a new challenge, we think you will do well here.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement (code), review and troubleshoot high quality tools and automation for internal use to support continuous delivery and developer productivity.
- Translate requirements into designs that align with mid and long term goals for the product and technology evolution
- Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.
- Provide technical guidance and influence in other areas of the Engineering (e.g. DevOps and Test Engineering)
- Roll out deliverables to internal customers in phases, monitor adoption, collect feedback, and fine-tune the project to respond to internal customers’ needs.
- Communicate the vision of our product to external entities
- Foster, enable and promote innovation
- Stay ahead of and introduce broader technical trends from the industry
- 10+ years experience with advanced Java.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles and practices
- Understanding and appreciation for TDD
- Solid understanding of Git, Maven, NPM, docker.
- Experience working on low latency, highly scalable and mission critical environment
- Experience with Spring, ActiveMQ, REST, Maven, AWS, Memcached, MySQL and Tomcat
- B.S. Computer Science or related field (MS/PhD preferred)
- Deep understanding of CI/CD release pipelines
- AWS infrastructure and services.
- Prior experience working in enterprise software or SaaS
Okta is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.