Vice President, Technical Operations
As the Vice President of Technical Operations you will lead a 100+ person organization of managers, architects and engineers that runs the Okta service. Through our highly available cloud architecture and unwavering focus on reliability, Okta has achieved greater than 99.99% uptime since 2017 and supports mission critical applications for thousands of companies including some of the world's largest.
Running the service means your team is responsible for monitoring, responding to alerts and incidents, pro-active maintenance and automating manual processes. In addition, the team is responsible for the tools and frameworks used to reliably and efficiently deploy all software to our servers and working with developers to design efficient, robust and scalable infrastructure required to support new features and products and then rolling it out.
- Organizational Scale: You will be the steward of a high-performing organization, scale the team and develop strong leaders. You'll be a talent magnet and leverage your network to hire high-performing team members. You will also raise the bar on hiring a highly diverse team and develop your people to create breadth and depth across your org.
- Strategic Thinking: In this highly visible role, you will report to the Head of Infrastructure (TechOps and Core Platform) and work closely with both the CTO and the EVP of Engineering and fellow leaders in Development, QA and Product Management to scale the business and foster velocity and innovation. You will also partner with the CSO to ensure that we maintain our strong security posture and adhere to our compliance controls and with our Finance partners on production budgeting and cost optimization. You will also be the public face of your organization, meeting with customers and prospects to inform them of new developments and updates on production matters related to their employees’ and customers’ use cases.
- Thought Leadership: Although this role is executive level, your hands-on experience and domain expertise will be important qualities to leverage to both influence other technical leaders and to uplift your organization’s effectiveness.
- Nimble and Pragmatic: You are comfortable with getting into the detailed work of the team, yet able to pivot easily to operate at a higher altitude.
- Experience managing distributed teams: You have experience leading teams across multiple sites in the USA and internationally.
- Operate w/Urgency: You have worked in a fast-growing SaaS company
- People Leader: You are a proven leader in driving high performance and proactively hiring talent consistent with business needs
- Platform Depth: You have experience in multi-cloud (AWS strongly preferred), fully dockerized environments.
- SaaS at scale: You have run a large scale service with zero down time
- Cross functional leadership: You able to work with multiple functions across the company
- Scope: You have held a VP role managing 50+ people at a public company with 5000+ employees
- B.S. Computer Science or related field (MS preferred)
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta you can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.