Position Description: The Commercial Counsel will play a key role on Okta’s quickly growing legal team, in supporting our Sales, Professional Services, and Partner organizations in structuring and negotiating outbound commercial agreements. This position will be based in Okta’s San Francisco headquarters.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate and draft master subscription agreements, professional services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, and other types of commercial agreements.
- Provide day-to-day legal support, business focused counseling, and advice to business executives and executive-level personnel.
- Support outbound, commercial transactions in the west region and serve as commercial team generalist for other regions and geographies as needed.
- Partner with revenue operations, sales operations, product teams, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes.
- Be a trusted partner to sales and other internal business constituents in supporting our customer base to ensure customer success and satisfaction while serving as a steward of Okta’s interest.
- Handle a variety of ad-hoc projects across the department supporting business, legal, and strategic corporate initiatives.
- Champion Okta’s core values.
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Up to 4 years of experience in law firm and/or in-house legal department with direct experience negotiating enterprise-level SaaS subscription agreements, technology licenses, and professional services agreements
- Excellent communicator with strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Highly responsive, accountable and service-oriented attitude
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with a variety of internal clients
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Team-oriented with a sense of humor
- Undergraduate degree and a law degree from highly regarded schools
- California bar passage required
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with intellectual property law
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and working with revenue and sales operations teams
- Familiarity with cloud computing information security issues and data privacy laws including recent developments related to GDPR and CCPA
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,950 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.