Okta’s Deal Desk is responsible for driving large, complex, and non-standard commercial contracts to closure by providing Sales teams with business process & policy insights as well as strategic and operational support. The team sits within the larger Business Operations organization, which supports strategic initiatives across Okta, and is comprised of various functions from Sales Operations to Customer Success. As a member of the broader Business Operations team, you will have the opportunity to learn about and contribute to Okta's business from many angles, from our go-to-market strategy and launch of new products to the standardization of policies and systems to scale operations.
As the first Contracts Manager to join the Deal Desk team, you will have the opportunity to help build the commercial contracts and negotiations support function for Enterprise and Strategic accounts. This role is best suited for an experienced Contracts Manager who is passionate about understanding business issues and collaborating with others to make doing business with and within Okta as seamless as possible.
In this role, your primary function will be to strategically partner with Sales to prepare and negotiate contracts that mutually benefit Okta and its Customers. This responsibility entails:
- Overseeing the commercial contracting process in partnership with Sales and Legal teams to enable deal closure; supporting Sales in negotiations planning; collecting relevant approvals from internal stakeholder for key contract terms; ensuring timely handoffs of contracts to other internal partners and customers
- Maintaining a holistic view of a deal throughout contract negotiations; driving internal stakeholder discussions and alignment on customer concerns or key business issues that arise during negotiations
- Participating in and/or leading contract negotiations with customers (i.e., renegotiations, extensions, terminations and new business)
- Advising Account Executives on contract objection-handling techniques, alternative contract options, and value propositioning to help close deals; responding to customer and internal stakeholder questions about key contract terms
- Building a strong partnership with the Legal team and escalating legal matters as necessary
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop a robust fallbacks bank and contracting best practices; identifying process improvement and sales training opportunities
General Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong working knowledge of applicable commercial legal principles and able to work on diverse contractual issues simultaneously from inception to completion. Experience negotiating a broad range of legal issues that arise in the context of commercial transactions (e.g. indemnification, limitation of liability, confidentiality, SLAs)
- Knowledge of Data Security and Data Privacy terms is a plus
- Adept in contract analysis, including process-driven compliance to align with internal finance policies and SOX
- Willingness to be a team player and collaborate with Deal Desk teammates and other internal teams on ad hoc projects
- Ensure all non-standard commercial terms are reviewed, approved, and properly documented in Salesforce and Apttus
- Identify deal trends and drive efforts to categorize historical contracting and deal structuring trends based on sales segment or industry vertical, etc.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 8 years directly supporting a Sales team, with 2 years of hands-on experience in drafting and negotiating software licensing/SaaS customer agreements with Fortune 1000 companies
- Experience working cross-functionally with Sales, Finance, Legal in executing contracts
- Familiarity with SaaS subscription models, pricing, and revenue recognition
- Able to communicate effectively with various audiences ranging from Customers to Account Executives to C-level
- Demonstrated project management experience and/or participation in process improvement efforts
- Comfortable operating under pressure/with sense of urgency
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Experience in Salesforce required; experience in Apttus and other sales productivity tools preferred
- Bachelors degree; pre-law or Paralegal studies a plus
Okta is an equal opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.