This person will be a key member of Okta’s Privacy & Product Legal team, and provide support across the organization globally, as follows:
- Support our Sales and Professional Services teams by working with customers, prospective customers, and partners on privacy and product-related questions regarding Okta’s services;
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Engineering and Product Management teams regarding privacy-by-design principles;
- Assist the company in identifying patentable inventions and work with outside counsel as necessary to secure appropriate patent protection;
- Partner with the Commercial Legal team in customer negotiations, including supporting the drafting and negotiation of privacy-related agreements and addenda;
- Help facilitate Okta’s ongoing compliance with all applicable global privacy and data protection laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), NIS Directive, E-privacy Regulation, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act;
- Partner with members of the legal, security & compliance, technology, marketing and human resources teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with laws, regulations, compliance frameworks, and customer contracts;
- Iterate on and maintain internal privacy policies and procedures, including Okta's internal privacy compliance program;
- Develop training materials and provide training to employees on privacy-related obligations;
- Work with Okta’s other legal and public policy stakeholders to help influence privacy and data protection policy, laws, regulations, and frameworks.
- Law degree from a highly-regarded school and California bar admission;
- Comfortable with the culture of a fast-paced, rapidly-growing enterprise software company;
- 4+ years’ experience (combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred), including at least 2 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters;
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills;
- Experience in negotiating technology contracts;
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented approach to driving projects to closure;
- Team-oriented and collaborative: a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity regarding legal and regulatory aspects of data privacy and security;
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment;
- Experience in and/or knowledge of software-as-a-service and internet industries and technical concepts;
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (US and/or EU) is a plus.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work