Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our amazing commercial legal team as Director, Commercial Counsel. In this position you will play a key role in supporting the sales and professional services organizations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company. You will apply your experience when providing strong legal guidance, structuring complex deals, and drafting and negotiating a variety of strategic agreements with some of the biggest names across every industry who trust Okta to help their organizations work faster, boost revenue, and stay secure.
This position can be based in Okta’s Washington, D.C. or Chicago offices . We are also open to remote for the right East Coast-based candidate.
- Draft and negotiate outbound SaaS master subscription agreements, professional services agreements, and other types of commercial agreements, with a focus on large, strategic enterprise accounts, including customers in highly-regulated industries (e.g., global banking, finance, and healthcare)
- Provide day-to-day legal support, business focused counseling, and advice for business executives and executive-level personnel.
- Partner with revenue recognition, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal Okta policies and processes.
- Build critical relationships with sales and legal colleagues and key stakeholders to effectively provide practical legal and strategic advice to assist the business in meeting its objectives.
- Drive and contribute to other interesting legal projects as needed.
- 7+ years of relevant experience negotiating and drafting enterprise-level SaaS subscription agreements, technology licenses, and professional services agreements.
- 3+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with sales leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Direct experience and knowledge of the SaaS business model, enterprise cloud computing, and related data privacy and security matters.
- Detailed oriented with excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Sound and practical business judgment; strong problem solver and is self-motivated.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with revenue and sales operations teams.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ambitious go-getter willing to roll up their sleeves; team-oriented and with a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of intellectual property issues.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly-regarded school, bar admission.
Okta has all the great perks you would expect from a top-tier tech company, like fully-stocked kitchens, competitive salary and benefits, catered lunches, equity incentives, and flexible time off. If you want to work at a company that values personal growth, professional development, volunteerism, and solves complex problems with an incredible, dedicated, and supportive team of legal leaders then please apply to join our rapidly-growing team!
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,400 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.