Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of growing commercial legal team as Director, Corporate Counsel, Partners & Alliances. In this position you will lead and support the Channel Partner and System Integrator organizations at a high growth publicly traded tech company that provides products enabling companies to use any technology anywhere. You will be a ‘player/coach’ and leverage your experience in providing strong legal leadership and guidance, structuring complex deals, and drafting and negotiating a variety of global channel agreements with industry leading partners who work with Okta to distribute and implement Okta’s SaaS identity management services to customers around the world
This position will report into the Sr. Director, Corporate Counsel who is based in Okta’s San Francisco headquarters. The ideal candidate will be located in the East Coast, but other locations will be considered.
- Manage and build a team of channel focused attorney(s); hire and develop team members to support a high-growth global channel organization.
- Draft and negotiate complex channel related agreements including distribution, reseller, professional services, referral, MSP, technology partner, OEM, strategic alliance and other types of partner agreements.
- Partner with channel leadership including channel operations to create and implement a scalable legal support structure and processes which map to channel leadership’s strategic growth plans.
- Draft and negotiate strategic agreements with Global System Integrators for distribution of SaaS and professional services.
- Provide direct support to channel sales and leadership, both domestically and internationally (EMEA, APAC, LATAM).
- Create, update and manage global partner agreements and all related channel templates.
- Work directly with business executives and key business stakeholders as a strategic adviser and tactical influencer to provide business-minded legal advice and guidance on a broad range of complex legal, business and strategic issues as they arise.
- Partner with revenue recognition, security, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal Okta policies and processes.
- Manage outside counsel on an as-needed basis, including for localization of agreement templates and matters requiring local law or subject-matter expertise.
- 10+ years of relevant experience of relevant experience negotiating and drafting enterprise-level go-to-market channel partner agreements, Global System Integrator agreements and SaaS subscription software license agreements, including the ability to efficiently identify and resolve issues presented by partner paper, including competition law issues across various jurisdictions.
- 5+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with partners and alliances leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Expertise with the software-as-a-service business model and enterprise cloud computing concepts at a SOX compliant public company.
- Familiarity with anti-competition, distribution, agency and compliance laws applicable to third party channel partners.
- Experience managing senior attorneys supporting channel and/or direct sales in a SaaS or software focused global company.
- Experience supporting a globally distributed channel sales team.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with Revenue and Accounting teams.
- Strong influencing and leadership skills, including decisiveness on both legal and business issues with willingness to partner with other stakeholders.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and break down new, novel and complex issues, business models and contracting approaches and present these to others in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly-regarded school, bar admission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Business-minded, can-do spirit with the experience to find a way through tough negotiations.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and rewarding work environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of internal clients.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Ambitious go-getter willing to roll up their sleeves; team-oriented and with a sense of humor.
- Smart as a whip with high emotional intelligence.
- Experience negotiating cross-border transactions.
- Knowledge of intellectual property issues.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.