Accelerate your career by joining Okta as a member of our Corporate Legal Team. Okta is seeking a Director, Corporate Development Counsel to be our first dedicated attorney supporting Okta’s Corporate Development strategic initiatives, including M&A, Okta Ventures, technology partnerships and strategic alliances. You will be joining the Legal Department’s corporate team in the SF Bay Area and reporting to the VP, AGC, Corporate. In this role, you will be an integral member of both the Legal and Corporate Development departments and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment on the cutting edge of the rapidly growing Identity market. You will work collaboratively with various stakeholder teams across the organization, including Legal, Corporate Development, Sales, Product, Engineering, People, Marketing, Finance, Communications and other internal groups.
- Be the trusted legal advisor to the Corporate Development team on a broad range of M&A, venture investment, technology partnership and strategic alliance initiatives, including assessing and advising on strategy and risk.
- Provide advice on and run the full lifecycle of M&A transactions, from strategy, evaluation of targets, structuring and negotiating LOIs, due diligence, risk assessment, drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, through supporting integration and post-closing contingencies.
- Advise Okta Ventures on all legal aspects of its investment strategy and execution, including the evaluation of investment targets, negotiating term sheets and side letters and reviewing and negotiating financing documents.
- Support the technology partnerships and strategic transactions group, including negotiation of all manner of partnership and alliance agreements.
- Coordinate with the Corporate and Securities team on the preparation of Board and M&A Committee meeting materials.
- Drive process improvements, including developing templates and ensuring post-closing knowledge transfer to relevant teams.
- Assist with other special corporate projects, as needed.
- Partner with internal stakeholders.
- Manage outside counsel.
Required Experience and Skills:
- J.D. degree, strong academic credentials and California state bar membership.
- 8+ years of M&A, venture financing and technology and strategic partnerships legal experience at a top firm and in-house (preferably including experience at a high-growth technology company).
- Expert in all aspects of M&A law, with significant experience in tech acquisitions.
- Significant experience doing venture investments on both the company and investor side.
- Significant experience negotiating technology partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Demonstrated ability of taking a risk-based approach to advising on and negotiating deals.
- Experience building an in-house M&A legal function is a plus.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross functional teams and internal clients.
- Ability to influence cross-functionally and across various levels of leadership.
- Proactive approach with practical business judgment.
- Team-first attitude and impeccable ethics and integrity.
- High level of personal drive and desire to learn new areas of practice and expand responsibilities.
- Ability to independently manage cross-functional projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.