Accelerate your career by joining Okta as our first EMEA Employment Law Counsel! Okta is seeking a Director, Employment Law EMEA to join the Legal Department’s Corporate Team, reporting to the Vice President, Global Litigation and Employment Law in the U.S. You will be an integral member of the Legal Department and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment to support the growing employment law and compliance needs of Okta in EMEA. You will work collaboratively with various teams across the organization, including the People team, Internal Audit and other departments, as well as with external counsel.
- Be a trusted legal advisor to management, the People Team and the business on sensitive and wide-ranging global employment law issues across EMEA, including hiring, recruiting, reorganisations, employee relations, performance management, terminations, leaves of absence, works council, compensation and benefits, D&I initiatives and other employment-related matters.
- Manage employment-related compliance policies and processes and proactively ensure compliance with laws and regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Partner with US-based Employment Counsel and cross-functional partners to develop and refine scalable employment processes, policies, trainings, and business strategies that pragmatically balance business needs with risk mitigation.
- Draft, maintain and review international templates and policies for employment matters (including employment agreements, contractor agreements, separation agreements and employee handbooks).
- Lead or partner closely with the People Team on internal investigations.
- Monitor employment-related legal developments and engage proactively to drive
- compliance and implement risk-mitigation strategies.
- Manage employment disputes, matters and litigation, including management of outside counsel.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop and conduct employment training and education programs.
- Support M&A activities involving employment matters, including overseeing employment-related diligence, assisting with employment and severance arrangements and assisting with on-boarding and integration, as needed.
- Active practicing license as an attorney in the UK or Ireland, or the equivalent qualification as required for in-house counsel
- 6 plus years of related legal experience as a practicing attorney, preferably handling employment matters in a fast paced in-house environment
- Expertise in employment counseling and litigation or litigation management, with a strong understanding of European employment laws, including one or more of the following countries: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France or Netherlands
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate with multinational teams operating in multiple time zones effectively
- Strong work ethic and good judgment
- Track record of delivering pragmatic, business-oriented solutions to problems and resolving disputes efficiently and effectively
- Confidence and ability to act as both a business and legal advisor, developing and maintaining good working relationships with internal business clients
- Willingness and flexibility to work independently and as a team member with all levels of legal and business personnel
- Ability and desire to help define role and develop new skills, as specific responsibilities may change over time
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.