The Team: The Strategy & Ops team strives to be the brain and the spine of Okta’s GTM organization. We protect the investment in Okta’s rapidly growing GTM teams by ensuring teams have the insight, tools, and processes to run effectively and efficiently.The Strategy & Ops team strives to be the brain and the spine of Okta’s GTM organization. We protect the investment in Okta’s rapidly growing GTM teams by ensuring teams have the insight, tools, and processes to run effectively and efficiently.
The Position: The Director of Marketing Strategy & Analytics is a unique opportunity to plug into a critical arm of Okta’s awareness and pipeline engine. In this newly-created position, you’ll partner with marketers of all kinds to develop our cross-functional portfolio of metrics and establish cadences for review and action.
You’ll also manage and mentor a team to nurture the next generation of marketing analytics and strategy leaders, while working closely with our awesome Martech and Data teams to create the partnerships necessary to bring your vision to reality.
Your key business partners in marketing will be:
- Regional Marketing – the teams that directly support our field sales organizations, including events (live and digital), highly-targeted multi-channel in-region campaigns, and ABM.
- Campaigns and Database Marketing – the teams that build and nurture our database, as well as drive scalable messaging to all corners of the market (including Okta’s existing customer base).
- Corporate Marketing – the teams that drive awareness for Okta, grow our digital footprint, build new content, and run major company conferences (like our user conference, Oktane). Includes Web, Ads, Events and Content Marketing.
- Marketing Executive Staff – the senior leaders of multiple functions.
- (to a lesser extent) Sales Development – the teams that follow up on marketing leads and drive outbound prospecting in conjunction with sales. We have a dedicated SDR ops team with whom you’ll collaborate.
You’ll support the business in 4 key ways:
- Resourcing & Targets – Own and evolve our CPL and lead-to-opportunity models. Establish a working cadence with FP&A and Sales Planning to align perspectives on pipeline requirements and spend needed.
- Scalable Analytics – create and condense the right suite of metrics for each kind of marketing channel and role. Support curiosities while maintaining a bias toward actionable business insight.
- Infrastructure & Tooling – in partnership with Martech, ensure that our marketing processes are creating the right data with minimal lift.
- Business Partnership – Work with marketing leadership to distill key metrics by function and establish a consistent cadence for review, action, and planning decisions. Enable marketing teams on the assets you deliver (reporting, processes, etc.).
Potential questions and projects:
- Mature our notions of ROI by channel: assess our portfolio of metrics and tie the right activities to the right measurements.
- Map the marketing touch points throughout the buyer journey and formulate a perspective on the “next best” activity for different accounts and buyer personas.
- Pipeline influence: what is the best thing marketing can do for an account during a sales engagement?
- Create stronger connections between our models and metrics for digital, campaigns, and events to understand how each influences the others.
- Develop deeper targets for our campaign teams in order to give region-level insight into pre-pipeline goals.
Other teams you’ll work with closely:
- Marketing Technology – owners of the sales development and marketing stacks (Marketo, Outreach, Full Circle, LeanData, Drift, 6sense, et al.).
- IT: Business Systems – owners of Salesforce (among other things), especially touch points and integrations.
- IT: Data & Analytics – owners of our data warehouse stack (Snowflake, Tableau) and ideal partners on more complex data sets or BI builds.
- Financial Planning & Analysis – owners of the budget and the models that help us formulate a unified picture of our investment structures.
- Strategy & Operations – we all support each other!
- 5-7+ years working with marketing analytics, including direct experience with the variety of marketing departments mentioned above
- Experience influencing executive marketing leadership to build consensus and drive decision-making
- Experience building, managing, developing, and growing a team
- Knowledge of the martech landscape and how it powers outcomes across different marketing functions
- Familiarity with the tools that create and house our data:
- Salesforce: complex dashboards & reports, custom report types, calculated fields, workflows.
- Marketo or other marketing automation platforms
- Tableau or other analysis / business intelligence tools
- Google stack: Analytics 360 and Campaign Manager, or other web analytics and advertising reporting platforms
- Exceptional quantitative and MS Excel skills (sumifs, index/match and vlookup, table formulas).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at multiple levels. You can drive effective meetings with execs, directors, managers, and analysts.
- Deep experience modeling complex problems, both conceptually and tactically (spreadsheets, analysis tools, visualization).
- Endless curiosity and a need to dive deeper for understanding.
- The desire and capacity to work both independently and collaboratively.
Additional experience we value (but not necessarily required):
- On-the-ground marketing experience -- e.g. you’ve run email campaigns, managed web, built ads programs, or something similar.
- Knowledge of sales development metrics and functions
- Knowledge of the GTM motion for enterprise IT
- Familiarity with additional tools we use: sales productivity (Outreach, people.ai, Clari); Anaplan; ABM tools (6sense / Demandbase / other); Salesforce CPQ
- Familiarity with MySQL or similar database querying language (you won’t be deep in SQL, but it helps to have heard of a LEFT JOIN)