Okta is seeking a Director, Global Employment Law to join the Legal Department’s Corporate Team in our San Francisco or San Jose office, reporting to the VP, AGC, Corporate. You will be an integral member of the Legal Department and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment to support the growing employment law and compliance needs of Okta. You will work collaboratively with various teams across the organization, including the People team, Internal Audit and other departments, as well as with external counsel.
- Be a trusted legal advisor to management and the People team on sensitive and wide-ranging global employment law issues, including hiring, recruiting, employee relations, performance management, terminations, leaves of absence, accommodations, wage and hour compliance, contingent workers, compensation and benefits, D&I initiatives and other employment-related matters.
- Manage employment-related compliance policies and processes and proactively ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to determine strategy and approach on global employment-related policies, guidelines and processes, with an approach that balances pragmatism, risk and compliance.
- Draft, maintain and review U.S. and international templates and policies for employment matters (including employment agreements, contractor agreements, separation agreements and employee handbooks).
- Lead or partner closely with the People team and Internal Audit on internal investigations.
- Monitor employment-related legal developments and engage proactively to drive compliance and implement risk-mitigation strategies.
- Manage employment disputes, matters and litigation, including management of outside counsel.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop and conduct employment training and education programs.
- Support M&A activities involving employment matters, including overseeing employment-related diligence, assisting with employment and severance arrangements and assisting with on-boarding and integration, as needed.
- J.D. degree, strong academic credentials and California state bar membership.
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience at a top firm and in-house (preferably at a high-growth tech company).
- Bar admission in good standing in California preferred; in-house registration in California required.
- Expert in key aspects of employment law, including matters related to discrimination, harassment, retaliation and internal investigations; with a strong understanding of California and federal employment law; international experience preferred but not required.
- Experience in building and managing an HR compliance program.
- Ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment across different functional groups, time zones and cultures.
- Highly responsive, service-oriented attitude with impeccable integrity, excellent interpersonal skills and team-first attitude.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with cross-functional partners.
- Sound judgment that balances legal requirements with practical business needs.
- Strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills and ability to manage many cross-functional projects simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Desire to learn new areas of practice, develop skills and expand responsibilities.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,400 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.