At Okta, our vision is to enable everyone to safely use any technology. This includes social sector organizations, who are solving some of society’s most critical challenges -- and most importantly, the communities and people they serve.
We’re looking for an experienced and mission-driven leader to take the reins of Okta’s Tech for Good team. In this unique role, you’ll combine your business acumen and passion for solving important problems to dramatically grow the number of nonprofits successfully using Okta’s technology and inform Okta for Good’s technology-based philanthropy efforts. The ideal candidate will have experience across SaaS go-to-market, customer success, product strategy and/or specific experience in the nonprofit technology sector.
The Tech for Good team is a part of Okta’s Social Impact and Sustainability organization (aka: Okta for Good). We are a small, passionate team with a mission to pioneer how Okta creates long-term value for people and planet. Our team stays lean and effective by partnering across Okta and embedding our programs into other departments as appropriate. This is a great opportunity for leaders with multi-disciplinary experience who can confidently navigate across functions and influence business leaders to drive both business and societal impact. Learn more about our work at okta.com/okta-for-good.
- Management and Leadership: you will directly manage a team of 3 who are responsible for all aspects of Okta’s nonprofit customer programming. As a highly-effective people manager, you will be responsible for their results and ongoing professional development. You will indirectly manage dozens more cross-functional employee partners through advisory councils and shared programs. You will also serve as a member of the Okta for Good leadership team, collaborating to define and advance cross-team priorities.
- Program management: you will run programs for the benefit of Okta’s nonprofit customers and grantees. End-to-end program responsibility includes design, operation, participant experience, impact evaluation, storytelling, and iteration.
- Strategy: this role requires the ability to continually refine, execute, and evaluate a “tech for good” strategy that is aligned with Okta’s core business and Okta for Good’s social impact vision.
- Stakeholder management: success in this role requires the development and management of a vast range of internal and external stakeholders including but not limited to customers, grantees, vendors, and cross-functional partners in every major business unit at Okta.
- Advocacy: you will be an advocate for nonprofits within Okta, and an evangelist for Okta within civil society ecosystems. You will represent Okta and Okta for Good in a variety of settings while always demonstrating our core values.
- Manage and grow Okta’s nonprofit business. Building on a strong install base and reputation in the nonprofit market, your job is to accelerate and expand the impact of Okta’s products and services for nonprofits by building and owning targeted programs, policies, and resources across the entire customer lifecycle. You and your team will work hand-in-hand with partners in every major business unit to achieve your goals. Key metrics for this work include but are not limited to: user growth, customer growth, product adoption, and renewal rates.
- Manage and grow strategic philanthropy and thought leadership. Philanthropic grantmaking is one of several tools we use to pursue impact. You will act as the subject matter expert to lead Okta for Good’s Nonprofit Technology Initiative -- a portfolio of grants, programs and commitments focused on accelerating a paradigm shift in the way nonprofits leverage technology. This includes building supportive, trust-based relationships with diverse grantees, serving as a dynamic resource to advance their work and connecting them, where appropriate, to Okta resources. In conjunction with other members of the Okta for Good leadership team, you will inform and enable strategic grantmaking using your knowledge and expertise.
- Apply a “tech for good” lens across our team and company. Okta for Good’s work is grouped into three overlapping “spheres:” Tech for Good, Empowered Employees and Communities, and Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG). Each sphere offers a unique perspective on social and environmental issues. To maximize our collective impact, each sphere must apply its unique “lens” to the work with the other spheres. This nuanced work requires dedication to continuous learning and collaboration.
Evidence and our collective experience suggest that women and people of color often don’t apply for jobs if they don’t believe that they possess 100% of the qualifications listed in a job description. Accordingly, below are some of the most important attributes that successful candidates may possess. This list is neither exhaustive nor 100% required:
- Demonstrated experience as an effective, inclusive manager of people.
- A detailed understanding of Okta’s products and the modern identity and access management industry.
- Sufficient business acumen to guide all aspects of Okta’s nonprofit business.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage professional relationships across teams, companies, and levels of seniority.
- Exceptional ability to communicate complex ideas to diverse audiences, especially through writing and public speaking.
- Full-time work experience within a nonprofit, social enterprise, or business that primarily serves nonprofits or social enterprises.
- Ability to recognize social impact opportunities aligned with Okta’s business.
- Proven ability to sell technology products and services to nonprofits.
- Deep knowledge of social impact ecosystems and their dynamics.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only) Minimum OTE of $178,000/year + equity + benefits)
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physial or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran.We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.
Okta offers everything you need to support your work, your life, and your work-life balance. Click here to learn more: https://rewards.okta.com/us
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.