Okta is seeking a top tier, inspirational leader to lead the Company’s technical accounting and SEC reporting function through a period of high-growth and change. The ideal candidate not only has a clear vision, but is also a detail-oriented, self-motivated team player with an outstanding working knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SEC regulations and internal controls and who thrives in an exciting environment with minimal supervision. This role manages a team of two and reports to the Sr. Director, Assistant Controller.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Own technical accounting advisory activities, including providing real-time accounting advice to cross-functional partners as part of significant transaction or company policy development.
- Perform research and documentation of accounting implications for significant transactions, including identification, assessment, and documentation activities on topics such as convertible debt, business combinations, earnings per share, and strategic investments, and proactively and effectively manage external auditor review process.
- Invest in ongoing technical accounting and soft-skill development and growth of team members, including proactively managing career pathing and development activities.
- Oversee ongoing monitoring, assessment, and implementation of new and proposed accounting and regulatory standards issued by the SEC and FASB, and own related interpretation, documentation, and external auditor consultation process. Provide quarterly updates and other appropriate communications to executives, key stakeholders, and accounting team.
- Review and oversee the timely and accurate preparation of all external financial reports, including those filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K, ensuring financial statements are in accordance with U.S. GAAP and SEC guidelines.
- Review GAAP disclosure checklists with a focus on accuracy and continuous improvement.
- Prepare Disclosure Committee and Audit Committee materials and monitor progress against reporting cycle deadlines.
- Review the monthly cash flow statement.
- Own relevant SOX controls and continuously partner with SOX and other teams to enhance and streamline reporting processes and controls and ensure proper execution and updates of external reporting SOX controls.
- Own, document and review the company accounting policy manual, including development and documentation of updates and other new accounting policies as needed.
- Oversee development and delivery of a technical accounting training program on a company wide, cross-functional basis and provide technical leadership and mentorship across the Finance organization.
- Lead and oversee ad-hoc projects as necessary.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance. MBA is a plus.
- 12+ years relevant work experience; Big 4 experience is required, direct experience on external reporting and technical accounting responsibilities with a public company is required.
- Prior team leadership and development experience is required.
- High-tech industry experience preferred, but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to visualize the big-picture and develop and design short and long-term processes and improvements to improve efficiencies
- Experience solving, documenting, and appropriately conveying and communicating complex technical accounting issues using appropriate mediums
- Passion for team and individual development
- Extensive experience owning and coordinating Form 10-K, Form 10-Q, Form S-8, Form S-3, proxy statements, prospectuses, etc.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Extensive project management experience leading significant cross-functional transactions and accounting projects, such as financings, accounting integrations, etc.
- Experience with NetSuite and Workiva a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage competing priorities, and adhere to tight deadlines
- Exhibits pride of ownership and sets and adheres to uncompromising quality standards for deliverables
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to learn new systems and processes quickly
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization, from clerical staff to executives, and manage relationships with external parties
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.