Okta is building out its global tax function and is looking to recruit an experienced professional in the newly-created role of Indirect Tax position. Reporting to the Company’s Senior Tax Director and based at Okta’s global headquarters in San Francisco, California, this role will touch each of the components of our global indirect tax function, including indirect tax planning, reporting, audits and compliance. This position is newly created, so this position will play an instrumental, hands-on, pioneering role in developing the Company's overarching tax strategies and creating the necessary processes and systems to support them.
- Assist with preparing monthly, quarterly and annual Sales and Use Tax filings, GST/VAT and other domestic and international tax filings.
- Support in the management of tax audits including prepare and provide auditor with supporting documentation using various internal systems
- Manage audit requests, timeline and waivers
- Manage relationships with internal, external and IT contacts for data files and information
- Investigate causes of issues and errors through understanding company operations and business procedures
- Recommend corrective action and suggest improvements with business partners. Develop plans to modify and improve existing processes to reduce future audit risk.
- Manage tax planning and reserve activity
- Update current tax rules and tax legislation changes
- Research tax regulations and tax rules to support projects and initiatives
- Research and analyze a wide range of tax issues and tax implications
- Manage and support outside consultant projects and requests
- Provide tax guidance and rules to support internal contacts
- Manage and oversee tax rates, tax classification and exemption documentation
- Review and approve monthly use tax accruals, journal entries and related supporting documentation
- Manage and maintain SOX compliance, desktop procedures and key controls
- Assist with state tax nexus studies and taxability analysis
- Prepare insightful analytics summary for management review
- Build collaborative working relationships across the organization
- Establish key internal controls related to indirect tax.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA preferred
- 5+ years of public accounting and/or industry accounting experience including income tax accounting and compliance
- Experience in interacting with auditors, audit defense and tax appeals
- Experience in sales and use tax preparation, laws and tax research
- Excellent project management and strong analytical skills
- Excellent computer skills and advanced Excel skills
- High energy, high motivation and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and effectively
- An ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing priorities
- An attention to detail, excellent planning and organization
- The ability to efficiently prioritize and meet tight deadlines
- Problem solving skills, and are an independent thinker and self-starter
- The ability to lead, motivate and develop staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,400 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.