Okta is an identity company. Identity matters because we’re all unique. We were raised in different countries, cities, and towns. We have unique backgrounds. We’ve faced specific challenges. And we've learned a lot along the way. At Okta we believe those experiences equip us to look at the world with our own perspective. Our SaaS product protects your right to be you, and we want every single one of our employees to feel a sense of belonging, acceptance and comfort to express their ideas, because ultimately our differences are what makes us great. And guess what? You could join us because…
The EMEA Legal team is growing!
Accelerate your career by joining Okta as a member of our Commercial Legal Team. The Senior Commercial Counsel will play a key role on Okta’s quickly growing legal team, in support of our Sales and Professional Services organisations in Germany and elsewhere in EMEA. You’ll provide strong legal guidance, structure deals, and draft and negotiate outbound commercial agreements.
As a Senior Commercial Counsel at Okta you will:
- Negotiate and draft outbound ‘SaaS’ master subscription agreements, professional services agreements, partner/distribution agreements, non-disclosure agreements and other types of commercial agreements, for both direct sales and indirect, partner-led sales.
- Provide initial information and advice on Okta’s data processing addendum.
- Work directly with business executives and key business stakeholders as a strategic adviser and tactical influencer to provide business-minded legal advice and guidance on a broad range of complex legal, business and strategic issues as they arise.
- Partner with revenue recognition, security, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal Okta policies and processes.
- Build critical relationships with the rest of the EMEA legal team, other legal colleagues and key stakeholders to effectively provide practical legal and strategic advice to assist the business in meeting its objectives.
- Work with outside counsel as required for contracts not governed by German law.
- Drive and contribute to a variety of ad-hoc projects across the department supporting business, legal, and strategic corporate initiatives.
- Champion Okta’s core values.
You could be a great fit for this role if you are:
- German-qualified lawyer with a strong academic background and 6+ years’ post-qualification experience.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience negotiating and drafting enterprise-level SaaS subscription agreements, technology licenses, and professional services agreements.
- 3+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with sales leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Direct experience and knowledge of the SaaS business model, enterprise cloud computing, and related security matters.
- Experience negotiating agreements for indirect sales via a partner/reseller.
- Working knowledge of the GDPR and experience advising on data privacy matters.
- Fluency in English and German required, for both verbal and written communications; fluency or proficiency in another European Language is a plus.
- Detail-oriented with excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Sound and practical business judgment; strong problem solver and self-motivated.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with revenue and sales operations teams.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and manage deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ambitious go-getter willing to roll up their sleeves; team-oriented and with a sense of humour.
- Knowledge of intellectual property issues.
Okta is a progressive company that values you as an individual. We are committed to career progression, employee wellbeing and making a positive impact in our local communities.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Apply now to continue the conversation and speak with one of our recruiters.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.