Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our growing commercial legal team as Senior Commercial Counsel supporting Strategic Accounts, Central. In this position you will have primary responsibility for advising and supporting the sales and professional services organizations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company. You will apply your experience when providing strong legal guidance, structuring complex deals, and drafting and negotiating Cloud Services and related agreements with some of the biggest names across every industry who trust Okta to help their organizations work faster, boost revenue, and stay secure.
This position is based in Chicago but we are also open to remote for the right candidate.
- Primary responsibility to advise, draft, and negotiate outbound Cloud Services master subscription agreements, and other types of ancillary documentation related to sales deals, such as NDA's, SOWs, with a focus on large, strategic enterprise accounts, including customers in highly-regulated industries (e.g., global banking, finance, and healthcare)
- Provide day-to-day legal support and respond promptly and effectively to legal requests from sales and other internal clients.
- Partner with revenue recognition, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal Okta policies and processes.
- Build critical relationships with sales and legal colleagues and key stakeholders to effectively provide practical legal and strategic advice to assist the business in meeting its objectives. Advise on recommended courses of action and legal risks. Ability to judge when to escalate identified issues as may be necessary.
- Support continuous improvement of standard form templates, policies and legal processes related to commercial transactions.
- Support M&A legal integration activities related to commercial contracts and other go-to-market integration tasks as needed.
- Drive and contribute to other interesting legal projects as needed.
- 10+ years of relevant experience negotiating and drafting enterprise-level SaaS subscription agreements, technology licenses, and professional services agreements.
- 3+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with sales leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Direct experience and knowledge of the SaaS business model, enterprise cloud computing, and related data privacy and security matters.
- Detailed oriented with excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Sound and practical business judgment; solution driven and is self-motivated. Adherence to not only what is legal but also what is right.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with revenue and sales operations teams.
- Proven track record of managing multiple complex deals with the ability to organize, prioritize deadlines and perform effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across diverse teams.
- Ambitious go-getter willing to roll up their sleeves; team-oriented and with a sense of humor.
- Experience and familiarity with supporting M&A integration activities from a commercial/GTM legal team perspective.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly-regarded school, bar admission.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.