Okta is an identity company. Identity matters because we’re all unique. We were raised in different countries, cities, and towns. We have unique backgrounds. We’ve faced specific challenges. And we've learned a lot along the way. At Okta we believe those experiences equip us to look at the world with our own perspective. Our SaaS product protects your right to be you, and we want every single one of our employees to feel a sense of belonging, acceptance and comfort to express their ideas, because ultimately our differences are what makes us great. And guess what? You could join us because…
The EMEA Legal team is growing!
Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our growing Privacy & Product legal team! As Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy & Product, you will play a key role in supporting the engineering, product management, security, marketing, human resources, and sales organisations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company. You will work on cutting-edge privacy and product projects, in a modern, cloud-first, SaaS environment, to help Okta deliver world-class products to our thousands of global customers. This position will be based in Okta’s Paris office.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate and correspond with data protection authorities as necessary from time to time, especially as local key contact for CNIL.
- Key contact for data protection related requests from European customers (i.e. controller and processors) regarding the Okta Services, including with regard to the Okta data processing addendum, and for data protection related requests from European data subjects regarding the exercise of their rights under GDPR articles 15-22.
- Support our Sales and Professional Services teams by working with customers, prospective customers and partners on privacy and product-related questions regarding Okta’s services.
- Report on data privacy issues to the Okta France SAS and/ or international management of Okta.
- Counsel internal stakeholders by way of data protection governance meetings, strategy development, and summarising reports.
- Liaise with Okta’s Internal Audit team, and external third-party auditors if necessary, to conduct periodic audits at Okta France SAS and other EEA based Okta entities, to ensure compliance with applicable data protection laws and frameworks.
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Engineering and Product Management teams regarding privacy-by-design principles, and assist the company in identifying patentable inventions, working with intellectual property counsel as necessary, to secure appropriate patent and trademark protection.
- Ensure that Okta’s vendor agreements contain adequate data protection and privacy assurances.
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of records of processing activities and data protection impact assessments under articles 30 and 35 of the GDPR, respectively.
- Be a resident expert and thought leader on, and ensure Okta’s and its subsidiaries’ compliance with, all applicable global privacy and data protection laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), NIS Directive, and E-privacy Directive.
- Partner with members of the legal, security & compliance, technology, marketing and human resources teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with laws, regulations, compliance frameworks, and customer contracts.
- Work with Okta’s other legal and public policy stakeholders to help influence privacy and data protection policy, laws, regulations, and frameworks.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 6 years PQE.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred, including 3+ years specialising in privacy and data protection matters.
- Familiarity and comfort with the culture of a fast-paced, enterprise software company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills. Fluency in French and English required; proficiency in another language(s) (such as German, Dutch or Spanish) is a plus.
- Strong experience in leading and closing complex contract negotiations involving cutting-edge cloud computing issues.
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented approach to driving projects to closure.
- Team-oriented and collaborative – a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity regarding legal and regulatory aspects of data privacy and security.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of software-as-a-service and Internet industries and technical concepts.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (Europe, U.S., Canada, and/or Asia) is a plus.
Okta is a progressive company that values you as an individual. We are committed to career progression, employee wellbeing and making a positive impact in our local communities.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Apply now to continue the conversation and speak with one of our recruiters.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.