Okta’s first Senior Director of Government Affairs will be an integral member of the Legal Department, reporting directly to the General Counsel. You will have a leading role in not only shaping Okta’s government affairs strategy, but in establishing and operationalizing the function itself. In so doing, you will operate independently in a dynamic environment to develop and lead Okta’s government affairs practice at the federal, state, local and international level. You will work in concert with, and serve as a key advisor to, the General Counsel, Board, executive leadership, and senior management on legislative and regulatory policy.
- Establish Okta's government affairs practice by implementing a global government relations strategic plan for legislative and regulatory issues at the international, federal, state and local levels
- Design Okta's plans for government outreach and thought leadership through the gathering of intelligence and preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government actions
- Develop legislative and regulatory agendas on a wide range of policy issues, including identity, privacy, cybersecurity and cloud-based software
- Monitor, anticipate, and understand state and federal legislative and regulatory policy activities to develop recommendations and prepare communications for the CEO, General Counsel, Board, executive leadership, and senior management to strategically shape our positions, advocacy, and response
- Support internal stakeholders including CEO, General Counsel, Board, executive leadership, and senior management to appropriately engage government officials and support policy initiatives
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key elected officials, legislative staff, and policy groups to increase Okta’s visibility, presence and influence in government
- Advocate before government officials, policy makers and their staff
- Support, drive, and maximize Okta’s trade association memberships
- Manage Okta's involvement with external consultants and other companies
- Represent Okta in relevant hearings, meetings, and conferences
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and strong academic credentials
- 10+ years of relevant experience with government affairs, public policy, or government relations in both the public and private sector (technology/software sector strongly preferred)
- Experience in developing and implementing a government affairs program
- A comprehensive understanding of the operation of the federal government, U.S. state and local and EU policymaking process (APAC experience a plus)
- Extensive network of government contacts in the U.S. and the E.U.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with senior executives and government officials, including advocating before Congress and/or the Executive Branch on behalf of corporations, trades associations, or any other interest group
- Established ability to build and sustain relationships with government officials
- The ability to plan and implement a political advocacy effort and persuasively communicate and advocate for company positions and policies through the legislative process
- Familiarity with technology industry/privacy/software/cybersecurity policy issues a plus
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross functional teams and internal clients
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive approach with practical business judgment
- Team-first attitude and impeccable ethics and integrity
- High level of personal drive
- A sense of humility, and humor, are required in equal measure
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.