Okta is a trusted platform to secure every identity, from customers to your workforce. More than 9,400 organizations trust Okta’s software and APIs to sign in, authorize, and manage users.
Okta Ventures plays a critical role in seeding the new crop of innovative, enterprise software companies enabling new use cases in security, identity, and privacy. Okta Ventures invests in seed to late-stage technology software companies, across the consumer, enterprise, crypto, and fintech spaces. Okta Ventures is anchored by our values focused on innovation, transparency, and integrity in our work with founders. Okta Ventures has made 12 investments since inception in 2019 including: Openpath, VNDLY, Crossbeam, Hunters, and Datagrail. We target 10+ investments per year. Learn more about Okta Ventures at: www.okta.com/okta-ventures
The Okta Ventures Senior Manager will source, identify, evaluate, and build the case for investments in the most innovative early-stage enterprise software startups. This position reports to the Head of Okta Ventures and will work on a small and committed team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate and manage sourcing and high volume of investment deal flow
- Take initial screening meetings and escalate promising opportunities
- Drive partnerships and awareness of Okta Ventures within the startup and investment ecosystems, including venture capitalists, investment bankers, external accelerators
- Assist in deal negotiations and due diligence efforts inclusive of reviewing industries, products, customers, and competitors by evaluating market sizing, technology walkthroughs, industry trends, competitive landscapes, and financial modeling
- Analyze financial and operational information relating to potential investments and portfolio companies, e.g. company results, profit and loss, growth rates, market share
- Facilitate commercial and strategic partnership opportunities for the portfolio including sales, marketing, technical integrations, and business development
- Assist in creation of executive materials, deal memos
- Research technology trends and market landscapes to development investment theses
- Engage with internal business leaders to evaluate trends
- Assist in preparation of financial reporting documentation
- Collaborate cross-functionally with administrative and investment team members to drive projects to completion
- Participate in periodic updates to appropriate executive management groups
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of relevant professional work experience in enterprise software including exposure to venture capital
- Experience with cloud software vendors and their strategies/business models
- Effective communicator, ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing; comfortable in business and technical discussions
- Experience in building trusting relationships and influencing others (incl. executive audiences)
- Ability to build and cultivate long-lasting relationships
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, STEM / engineering, or other applicable fields
- Collaborative team player who is also an independent thinker
- Self-starter who thrives and can multitask in fast-paced and often ambiguous environments
- Some experience with financial modeling
- Passion for technology, startups, learning new things, and investing
- A natural collaborator with bias to action, low ego and a proactive disposition
- Exposure to product and/or go-to-market functions within a high growth company
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Identity is at the core of everything we do. And to us at Okta, that doesn’t just mean securing the identities of our customers, but also celebrating the identities of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is to nurture a culture of inclusion and belonging while we create balanced teams to fuel innovation and collective growth.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.