The Senior Director of Compensation will partner closely with the Executive Management, Finance, Legal, Sales Operations, HRIS, external vendors and consultants to create and implement innovative, scalable, and competitive compensation programs. These programs will align with Okta’s business objectives, while fostering a culture of high-performance and fluidity.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to create strategies from the ground up that will further drive high-performance, positive business results, and shareholder value.
The ideal candidate will be strategic and analytical with an ability to work diligently and be responsive to the changes in business. This is an opportunity to partner with leadership and touch significant aspects of the business and play a part in the development and implementation of company programs.
As the Senior Director of Compensation, the successful candidate will create and implement innovative, scalable, and competitive Compensation programs.
The Senior Director of Compensation will report to Sharpy Sandhu, Senior Vice President of Global Total Rewards, and work closely with many of Okta’s senior business leaders. There are 6 direct reports into this position and 1 indirect report. Currently People Team M&A sit under this role but there is flexibility depending on the candidate.
- Lead Okta’s Compensation function to effectively design, implement and manage the compensation strategy, philosophy, programs, policies, and initiatives.
- Develop, coach, mentor, and manage the team of compensation professionals listed above
- Partner with the SVP of Global Total Rewards, Executive Compensation Director, external consultants and Okta’s Compensation Committee to assess, develop, and design new and existing executive compensation programs.
- Partner with team on preparation of presentations for quarterly Compensation Committee meetings and present compensation updates during Company All Hands Meetings
- This role will be responsible for the Annual Rewards Cycle – from planning to implementation.
- Build collaborative relationships and provide consultative advice to managers and HR business partners on compensation strategy (e.g. promotions/transfers, job offers, relocations) and policy and guideline interpretation.
- Develop training programs to educate leaders, managers, and colleagues on the company’s compensation programs.
- Communicate effectively across the organization and develop strategic partnerships with Executive Leadership, Legal, and Finance teams.
During the first 12 months, the Senior Director of Compensation will guide the company through the following:
- Assume leadership of the function, build a reputation as a strategic business partner across the organization and earn the trust and respect of the internal stakeholders.
- Develop the Compensation roadmap to propel into its next phase of growth, leveraging technology to scale Okta’s compensation programs globally.
- Continuously assess the structure and strength of the Company’s compensation and recognition programs, redesigning and modifying accordingly.
- Work closely across all corporate groups to ensure that recognition and rewards programs are consistent and appropriate.
- Work with hiring managers and the talent acquisition team to anticipate the need for emerging skills and proactively design competitive compensation programs.
Professional Qualities & Experience
- 12+ years of experience in global broad-based compensation, and incentive plan strategy, design, and administration with proven experience designing and implementing compensation plans. Experience with Sales Compensation is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience managing people
- Public Company Experience is a must
- Workday Experience is preferred
- Leadership skills balanced with a willingness to play a ‘hands-on’ role with key projects.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills required to effectively communicate total rewards strategies at all levels, from administrative to the C-Suite to company all hands
- Ability to think globally, strategically, and objectively to effectively translate data into actionable insights, strategies and financial plans.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, growing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple regions and countries.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, MBA or advanced certification (CCP, CBP, CEP or SPHR) preferred.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $204,000]/year + equity + benefits *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20))