Okta is seeking a top tier candidate to develop and execute the overall strategic vision for its global payroll department. In this newly created role, the ideal candidate will lead the day-to-day global payroll operations which include supporting international expansion efforts and complying with local statutory regulations. This leader will be a key partner in developing and implementing strategies to scale the global payroll operations and systems efficiently while maintaining quality, accuracy, internal controls and compliance.
This role is remote eligible in the United States and reports to VP, Corporate Controller.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and drive the strategic vision for global payroll function, including scale and optimize global payroll administration, processes and systems to support high growth company;
- Oversee teams of domestic and international payroll administration; develop and manage team members to become the best in class talent
- Drive and manage projects such as M&A payroll integration, planning and implementing new country payroll platforms, time tracking system changes and migration.
- Foster outstanding cross functional relationships; working closely with People Operations, Benefits, Legal, Global Mobility and international service teams to ensure high integrity of data, system and initiatives step up for successful payroll process and administration
- Manage global payroll operations in over 12+ countries across Americas, EMEA and APAC regions, including ensuring accurate, timely and efficient payroll processing, compliance with US and foreign securities regulations and tax requirements. Oversight in payroll related input into month and quarter-end close activities; including but not limited to understanding payroll GL reporting, journal entries and reconciliations.
- Improve payroll policies, practices and procedures to ensure compliance, efficiency, and standardization across legal entities globally; including design and implementation of SOX controls
- Ensure all payroll related tax filings and reports are completed timely and accurately in compliance local, state, country specific laws and regulations while substantiated by sufficient underlying documentation and support; including the creating of new accounts with variance country agencies as required.
- Own and manage relationships with external global payroll service providers and hold them accountable to performance standards; maintain up-to-date purchase orders and track to overall payroll budget
- Manage payroll audit enquires requests from both internal and external audit parties. Work with tax agencies and payroll service providers to resolve external tax issues and audits
- Remain current on new legislation and regulatory rulings impacting all domestic and international payrolls
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance / Accounting, or related discipline
- 10+ years of payroll administration experience in multi-state and international operations, with 2+ years in a global payroll oversight role
- Excels in hyper-growth environments; versatile, capable of managing multiple projects and able to manage project plans, dependencies, critical path activities and milestones
- Experience transforming a payroll function to maximize automation, scalability and cost effectiveness
- Highly proficient in interpreting local and international payroll rules and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of payroll tax implications on domestic and international equity instruments and plans, fringe benefits and stipends, and employee mobility
- Concise and effective communicator, verbal and written, with teammates and various levels of leadership as well as external parties
- A strong experience of SAAS payroll solutions preferred. Advanced level experience of Workday required. Familiarity with Safeguard payroll solution and E*Trade platform a plus
- Highly analytical with working knowledge of general payroll protocols and accounting principles
- Experience implementing payroll in new countries and for acquired companies
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft offices (Excel, Word)
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.