There are millions of websites, mobile apps, and API services in the world. A large percentage of these apps require users to register, log in, etc. Okta wants to be the foundation upon which all these apps are built.
Our goal is to become the most used authentication and authorization service for developers worldwide. To do this, we need your help!
We are looking for a strong, seasoned Java developer and public speaker with an eye for developer experience. The Developer Relations team you will be a part of is responsible for a broad range of developer-facing activities, all of which aim to make Okta an iconic developer brand.
As a Java Developer Advocate, you will be connecting with developers and speaking publicly about bleeding-edge technologies at tech conferences, developer meetups, user groups, on blogs and with the press. You will engage internally with Product Managers, Engineering, Marketing and Customer Success to champion the needs of the community and drive business impact. You will participate in the open source community and be a key strategic advisor to our overall platform business. This role has a significant impact on our overall business.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create interesting educational content for developers in a variety of different formats: articles, screencasts, tech talks, sample apps, tools, etc.
- Work closely with PM and engineering to ensure that developer.okta.com and our API product has a compelling roadmap that addresses the needs of the community
- Within Okta be the developer subject matter expert and champion developer needs and priorities across product, engineering, and marketing
- Champion Okta’s participation in, and engagement with, the open source community
- Drive adoption of Okta’s API platform by providing feedback on email campaigns and other outreach programs
- Execute Okta developer growth programs, including, but not limited to, hosting meetups, workshops, webinars and office hours
- Drive brand awareness of Okta’s platform and educate developers about the power of our identity offering and monitor industry and community trends to keep Okta engaged and relevant
- Use metrics and data to drive activities and priorities
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 7+ years’ experience in developer, developer evangelism, or developer relations roles at leading technology companies
- Understanding of how to connect with and market to developers in an authentic fashion
- Strong technical understanding of REST APIs, HTTP, SDKs, and authentication/authorization protocols (OAuth, OpenID Connect, Basic Auth, ...)
- Deep understanding of developer communities and how to engage them productively
- Solid communication skills - both a strong technical writer and public speaker
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work