Okta is seeking a Senior Director of Business Critical and Crisis Communications to join our team. In this communications leadership role, you will lead the growing team in building, enhancing, and protecting Okta’s corporate reputation. You have deep experience appropriately planning for and managing communications for a wide variety of issues, including but not limited to, geopolitical, sociocultural, employee/HR incidents, and service disruptions.
As the lead for this important function at Okta, you will continually evolve and improve upon global crisis management across Okta and create a center of excellence for business critical communications. You will serve as an advisor to key business partners and the executive team, and be on point for executing on those strategies in partnership with the wider Communications team. This role reports to the VP of Corporate Communications.
Communications is an incredibly strategic and visible function at Okta and we’re looking for a driven, experienced leader who will start making an impact immediately.
- Develop proactive risk management communications strategies
- Lead a team of business critical communications professionals
- Liaise and collaborate across business units, functions, and regions to standardize a crisis communications activation, notification, and management process
- Coordinate and consolidate practices across Okta and the Auth0 product unit to ensure a universal, company-wide approach and workflow
- Ensure alignment and understanding from business partners and senior executives on overall crisis management comms plans
- Lead the process of creating and distributing communications materials around any business critical need, including: internal communications, Q&As, customer/partner notifications, media statements, post-incident comms, etc.
- Oversee the relationship with third-party crisis comms agency partners, including maintaining and updating the crisis plan, coordinating tabletop sessions with execs across regions, and conducting media training (where necessary)
- Stay ahead of sociopolitical events and provide recommendations on any internal/external response, working closely with Government Affairs and Policy teams
- Contribute to the overall measurement of Okta’s brand reputation
- 10+ years of experience, with a proven track record in Business/Critical Communications, including direct experience working in-house and managing an internal team.
- BA/BS in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing preferred;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while multitasking, re-prioritizing projects, and communicating priority updates to stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to work with C-level executives inclusive of message development for top leaders and expertise in influencing and advising executives on communication strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Change management skills
- Experience building comprehensive communications strategies
- Advising senior leadership on holistic approaches to crises
- Success working cross-functionally and influencing teams
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $204,000 year + bonus + equity + benefits)
Okta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.