As we scale Okta globally through our enterprise and commercial go-to-market, the core identity business – including Universal Directory, SSO, and Lifecycle Management - continues to play a central and strategic role in driving growth for the company. Enabling this growth at Okta is product marketing, which is responsible for sizing market opportunities, understanding buyers and how to effectively communicate value, mapping the competitive landscape, packaging and pricing the Okta service to best capture value and drive growth, prioritizing go to market investments, and enabling a global sales organization that spans multiple customer segments and buyers.
As evidence by the new Gartner Access Management MQ, modern, cloud-based identity management has entered the mainstream. While Okta was placed very favorably in this new MQ, the stakes have never been higher for the core identity business to continue to power the company’s growth as organizations large and small modernize their entire IT infrastructure. From smaller organizations that are looking to Okta to power their cloud/mobile-first strategy to larger enterprises that are looking to Okta to transform their legacy IT stack, telling our unique identity story with clarity and continued thought leadership, expanding through new partnerships and channels, and expanding the awareness of the strategic importance of Okta has never been more important.
The identity product marketing leader will have three core responsibilities:
- Identity business and product ownership: our identity business is the largest and most strategic business at Okta. This leader will continue challenging the status quo relative to legacy IAM with our cloud-based identity and access products. This includes being responsible for the overall business management messaging, positioning, compete, packaging, pricing, analyst, PR, and go-to-market campaigns for our core business.
- Identity GTM leader: define KPIs, assess performance, identify areas for additional investment, and drive a coordinated go to market strategy across the broader Okta organization. This includes leadership of the PMM team around our core identity go-to-market plays, including our Modernize Enterprise IT, Build 100% Cloud/Mobile IT, and Increase M&A Agility initiatives.
- Lead the core identity team. We have a high-power, high achieving identity team here at Okta, so you’ll be leveraging your previous management skills to their fullest to ensure that the team continues to perform at a high level. This team includes strong product marketing practitioners across our Universal Directory, SSO, and Lifecycle Management products as well as our Business Value Management function.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Business Leadership and Go To Market Strategy
- Identify and prioritize Target Markets, Product Opportunities and Buyers
- Evolve and drive cross organizational alignment around Repeatable Use Cases
- Partner with corporate marketing to prioritize and inform demand gen investments and communication strategies
- Partner with Analyst Relations to develop and drive deep relations with key analysts and lead Okta responses to relevant MQ, Wave, etc. submissions
- Publicly represent Okta with customers, partners and larger audiences to communicate our product and business value, and educate customers, prospects and partners about Okta’s company and business strategy
- Customer Driven Messaging, Positioning and Content
- Collaborate with corporate marketing on our identity message
- Define and deliver effective product messaging and positioning across products, segments, and use cases
- Deliver content in various formats to communicate messaging and value of Okta
- Packaging and Pricing
- Deliver packaging and pricing of Okta across products and segments that aligns with go to market and competitive strategy
- Provide tools and enablement across the company
- Manage ongoing input and feedback to evolve with changes in product, strategy
- Business Value Quantification
- Provide world class tools, enablement, and support for quantifying the value of Okta
- Drive adoption of business value more broadly across Okta beyond sales
- Competitive Analysis
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of competitive product and go to market strategies to inform Okta’s business strategy
- Collaborate with tech marketing to ensure we have technical product knowledge and that sales reps and SEs can articulate competitive differentiation and defend value
- Sales Enablement
- Collaborate with sales ops team to deliver tools and training for sales rep
- Provide “real time” support for field in deals to navigate competitive and business challenges
- Collaborate with technical marketing to ensure alignment across sales and SE enablement
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships across Okta
- Develop strong working relationships with Product Management, Technical Marketing, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Success to foster a creative and nimble culture with very tight functional alignment.
- 7+ years of product management or product marketing experience for an enterprise-focused software, SaaS, or web services company.
- Experience selling to CIO and IT community is a requirement, ideally with an IAM background.
- Consistent record of marketing to a highly technical audience. You are comfortable working with and marketing to technical buyers within enterprises.
- Leadership skills as this will be a team management position.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills (of course)
- Real passion for measurement, metrics and continuous improvement across the organization.
- Project management skills, can handle multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field. MBA a plus.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.