Do you love DevOps and all the ways DevOps automation can improve the lives of developers while also caring deeply about protecting user identity? We are seeking an enthusiastic, technical communicator and educator to join Okta’s Developer Relations team as a Developer Advocate, focusing on DevOps. If you love engaging with, educating, and learning from other developers and have experience with DevOps tooling and technologies, this might be the perfect role for you!
Okta’s goal is to become the authentication and authorization service developers choose to manage their apps, infrastructure, and APIs. We believe that Okta’s software and APIs enable developers to create great experiences for their users, and we want to help solve their challenges in this space.
As a Developer Advocate, you will be connecting with other developers through the content you create, social platforms, and participating in tech conferences, developer meetups, and user groups. You will champion the needs of the DevOps community internally with Product Management, Engineering, Marketing and Customer Success teams. This is a technical position that has a significant impact on our overall business and you will be a key strategic advisor to our product team on the needs of the DevOps community - particularly regarding the challenges of integrating Identity into apps and infrastructure.
Success in this role broadly looks like growing Okta’s community participation and involvement in the DevOps ecosystem while simultaneously helping Okta create products and services that meet or exceed their needs. In practice, this means producing demos, blog posts, videos, giving talks and working internally to define and solve developers problems.
Our team is committed to making identity management available to developers of all backgrounds. We embrace diversity and inclusivity in our work and communities. We’re spreading awareness of Okta and enabling developers to do what they love: write, code, and learn, while protecting their users in the process.
- Be attuned to DevOps community pain points, expectations and needs and be able to synthesize and communicate them in an actionable way.
- Create technical content and educational materials (which can include workshops, tutorials, guides, code samples, videos, blog posts, streams, podcasts, etc.) from beginner to in-depth and advanced.
- Understand DevOps use cases and champion Okta and Auth0 products and services when they are truly relevant to the needs of the community.
- Use your experience to help shape the future of our products, always advocating for what is best for the developer. Bring feedback and guidance to product & engineering teams, with a focus on what is needed for DevOps practitioners to be successful.
- Have knowledge and awareness of tools, systems, projects, and products in the DevOps ecosystem.
- Attend and speak at meetups and conferences (both on-line and eventually in-person).
- Maintain an engaging, respectful and credible presence on social platforms.
- Experience as a developer evangelist/advocate or doing similar functions (building communities, speaking, creating technical articles/videos,tutorials, etc.). This can be in a job role and/or side projects.
- You have an in-depth understanding of technologies and practices relevant to DevOps and Cloud: e.g., Implementing CI/CD, infrastructure-as-code, configuration management tools, containerization & clustering technologies.
- You are, above all, a great listener, followed closely by being a strong communicator and educator.
- You have created content across a range of mediums and channels that can include technical articles and documentation, videos and live streaming; workshops, tutorials and guides; speaking publicly. You don’t have to have done all of these, but a willingness to explore, learn and experiment is required.
- You can advocate on behalf of external tech communities; including gathering and synthesizing feedback, sentiment and input.
- Good English language communication (verbal and writing) is a must. Additional language(s) are a huge asset.
- You are an active member of DevOps and/or developer communities.
Additional helpful skills and experience
- Prior experience/success in influencing product direction and decisions.
- Some experience and familiarity with authentication/authorization, identity, and/or security
- Experience using version control systems, GitHub preferred
- Experience with major IaaS and cloud providers (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Understanding of large enterprise customers helpful but not required
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.