Okta is growing rapidly. In order to maintain our steep growth trajectory, it's critical that we constantly search for new avenues for market expansion while improving upon our existing business. Okta’s Strategy and Business Operations team works on high visibility projects in conjunction with product and business leaders across the organization. As part of this team, you will help Okta identify and execute on high growth opportunities, while defining and investigating metrics to manage the health of the business. You will be instrumental in defining Okta’s long term strategy and growth.
Priorities and Example Projects
This role centers on two main priorities:
1. Shaping Okta’s strategy for market expansion
Over the past several years, we have expanded Okta’s product portfolio into adjacent technology areas that address new use cases and appeal to new types of buyers. Some examples of projects in this domain include:
- Product Strategy: developed the business case and supported due diligence efforts surrounding Okta’s acquisition of a low-code integration service provider (Azuqua)
- TAM Expansion: developed a strategy for Okta to extend one of its key product lines to fulfill new use cases and expand Okta’s addressable market. The results of this were presented at a recent Okta Board of Directors meeting.
2. Extending our lead in our core product areas
In addition to identifying new growth vectors, we work on high profile projects to build on our lead with Okta’s existing product set. Some examples of such projects include:
- Compete strategy: developing a data-driven strategy to drive product and go-to-market effectiveness versus a key competitor. The results of this work have informed Okta’s product roadmap and positioning in the market.
- Churn and customer engagement: Conducted an in-depth study of reasons for customer churn and drivers for increased engagement with one of Okta’s key products. The results of this work shaped a cross-functional initiative to identify customers at risk and inform the steps to increase product engagement.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop business cases for Okta to invest in new markets or drive new initiatives
- Analyze competitive offerings, synthesize findings, and identify sources of differentiation for Okta
- Size addressable market and model revenue opportunity
- Define business model by both identifying areas for value creation and value capture
- Conduct voice of the customer research with Okta customers and prospects to test new product concepts, isolate product requirements, understand willingness to pay, and identify implications for Okta’s product positioning and go-to-market strategy
- Articulate market entry requirements, business risks, and steps to mitigate
- Define and track business performance and product usage metrics to assess the success of key business initiatives
- On an ongoing basis, analyze and report on Okta’s operational and product performance; develop dashboards to measure key metrics and product health
- Support product team and other company stakeholders in managing rhythm of the business
Preferred Candidate Profile
The successful candidate will have prior experience developing data-driven growth strategies for technology companies, whether through work in strategy consulting, corporate strategy, or a business operations role at a technology company. It is critical that this person possess a high comfort with ambiguity, strong problem structuring skills, analytical acumen, and solid communication skills in presenting business insights to executives.
The ideal applicant will also have experience working within the product development process, possess the ability to establish credibility with product and engineering leaders, and hold an understanding of operational and go-to-market implications of their strategy recommendations. Experience working with cloud services, enterprise IT products, identity management, and device management are major advantages. Further, success in this role will require a strong ability to understand core customer requirements (not just what people ask for), define our overall short- and long-term strategy, and collaborate across the broader Okta organization to ensure the development of a compelling strategy.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred
- Experience in technical or quantitative field preferred
- 2-4+ years of strategy or management consulting experience at a top firm OR 2+ years of product management or business operations experience at a technology company
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
- Track record of successful delivery of company-critical projects and proven business impact
- Strong leadership, analytical, and communications skills; executive presence
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset; comfort with ambiguity and drive to take on new challenges and responsibilities
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills; strong aptitude for structuring complex problems and presenting well-supported solutions
- Experience with SaaS and enterprise software products or services
- Knowledge of identity, security, device/mobility management, and/or developer-facing products is a plus
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 6,500 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 7,950 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.